AMD 3D V-Cache CPU for optimisation

Hello,

Anyone has experience on using AMD 3D V-Cache CPU 5800X3D for optimization? What is the gain over plain 5800X CPU?

Dilwyn Tng:
Hello,

Anyone has experience on using AMD 3D V-Cache CPU 5800X3D for optimization? What is the gain over plain 5800X CPU?

MT5 Tester is a highly parallelizable workload. For faster optimization - add cores/ thread count (x times), not CPU (+10-15%). 

Going from an 8-core CPU to a 16-core CPU could double your Tester speed.

I believe l2 cache is more important for the strategy tester than l3 cache. 5800x and 5800x3D have the same amount of l2 cache. I believe they would perform about the same. However the 5900x is currently less than the 5800x3d and it would be much better due to the 12 cores instead of 8. The 5950x has 16 cores but is more expensive if you want to consider that as well.

tanner gilliland #:
I believe l2 cache is more important for the strategy tester than l3 cache. 5800x and 5800x3D have the same amount of l2 cache. I believe they would perform about the same. However the 5900x is currently less than the 5800x3d and it would be much better due to the 12 cores instead of 8. The 5950x has 16 cores but is more expensive if you want to consider that as well.

Larger L3 cache is generally more important than L2 cache.

In MT5 Tester - if you increase L3 cache size significantly (e.g. 2-4x), you could potentially see performance uplift in the range of 10-30%.

Focus on number of scores, not cache. Get 16 cores if you can.

I used to run optimization on 64 cores. Based on my experience with 64 cores - higher number of cores will not get you more happy. More advanced hardware (more cores, better cache) will just execute the same logic faster, but its profitability will stay the same.

Focus to improve your EA logic and robustness!

Reason: