Changing my MT4 Data Folder to a Shared Folder

Hello!

So, how would one change the default data folder for the MT4 platform to a shared folder? 

I have a VM which I run the MT4 Terminal on, but I do want to share files between my VM and my local computer without having to copy files over from the default data folder to my shared folder which is shared between my VM and my local computer.

Can this be done? If so, how so / or are there any credible sources om how this is done?

Ciao Ciao! 

I was able to force windows 10 to use a single shared folder for MT4 in local disk C: Program Files this way.

In Privacy settings  windowskey + i 

Privacy > apps > filesystem  + Allow apps to use filesystem ie. not APPDATA folder

Note: This will not copy across current information stored in APPDATA. such as stored historical data, copied indicators and EA's

So you might want to copy all the data from MT4's APPDATA  folder to the new location for use in C: Program Files to function as before.

maximo #:

I was able to force windows 10 to use a single shared folder for MT4 in local disk C: Program Files this way.

In Privacy settings  windowskey + i 

Privacy > apps > filesystem  + Allow apps to use filesystem ie. not APPDATA folder

Note: This will not copy across current information stored in APPDATA. such as stored historical data, copied indicators and EA's

So you might want to copy all the data from MT4's APPDATA  folder to the new location for use in C: Program Files to function as before.

Awesome, thanks for your input :) 

TheHonestPrussian: So, how would one change the default data folder for the MT4 platform to a shared folder?  I have a VM which I run the MT4 Terminal on, but I do want to share files between my VM and my local computer without having to copy files over from the default data folder to my shared folder which is shared between my VM and my local computer. Can this be done? If so, how so / or are there any credible sources om how this is done?
maximo #: I was able to force windows 10 to use a single shared folder for MT4 in local disk C: Program Files this way. In Privacy settings  windowskey + i. Privacy > apps > filesystem  + Allow apps to use filesystem ie. not APPDATA folder. Note: This will not copy across current information stored in APPDATA. such as stored historical data, copied indicators and EA's So you might want to copy all the data from MT4's APPDATA  folder to the new location for use in C: Program Files to function as before.

There is no need to alter Windows settings! Just use MetaTrader in "portable mode". That will allow you to place it at any directory you wish, including network shared directories.

That is how I use my MT4 and MT5 installations. I also use normal NTFS Junction points to have shared MQL4 and MQL5 folders between different MetaTrader installations and to have them automatically synchronised with OneDrive as well.

Fernando Carreiro #:

There is no need to alter Windows settings! Just use MetaTrader in "portable mode". That will allow you to place it at any directory you wish, including network shared directories.

That is how I use my MT4 and MT5 installations. I also use normal NTFS Junction points to have shared MQL4 and MQL5 folders between different MetaTrader installations and to have them automatically synchronised with OneDrive as well.

This.

Thanks Fernando. :) 

Fernando Carreiro #:

This was so easy to implement I could cry that I didn't know this sooner.
Thank you Fernando!!!
Reason: