How realible can you expect an EA to be to execute as designed?

We our testing our EA and having some issues here, and the question arose, How realible can you expect an EA to be to execute as designed? Should it work pretty much perfectly once attached to a chart? Or should a person always expect to have to tinker with it because it isn't doing exactly what it was intended to do?

EAs do not execute as designed. They execute as coded. If they don't do what was intended, they are broken; fix them.

William Roeder #:
EAs do not execute as designed. They execute as coded. If they don't do what was intended, they are broken; fix them.

OK, so if coded properly they should work as expect consistently without issue?

Soul8 #:

OK, so if coded properly they should work as expect consistently without issue?

No, because you probably tested it in a DEMO account.

The REAL world is imperfect.

MT5's DEMO accounts doesn't obey Book queue, Brokers are imperfect on issuing your orders, Slippage happens all the time, HFT's and Big Algos will eat you ass off, Timeouts will happen even within VPS's and Cloud Servers, and so on, and on, and on...

That's why the most crucial and hard thing to do is to code an Order Management/Trade System for your strategies, not the strategy itself...

Mine, right now, has around 7,000 lines of code, and growing...

;)

Flavio Jarabeck #:

No, because you probably tested it in a DEMO account.

The REAL world is imperfect.

MT5's DEMO accounts doesn't obey Book queue, Brokers are imperfect on issuing your orders, Slippage happens all the time, HFT's and Big Algos will eat you ass off, Timeouts will happen even within VPS's and Cloud Servers, and so on, and on, and on...

That's why the most crucial and hard thing to do is to code an Order Management/Trade System for your strategies, not the strategy itself...

Mine, right now, has around 7,000 lines of code, and growing...

;)

Thank you, I guess to clarify with I mean by an EA working properly abd consistenly I mean that it attaches to a chart, stays attached, takes the trade at the time and risk % that it is coded too, day in and day out, without having random errors.

in backtest, ea will work perfectly usually
in live account, there are some trading costs eg commission, slippage, latency, spread. these will make the ea perform not as perfectly. 
but a well written ea should survive in the this environment

Pak Hong Poon #:
in backtest, ea will work perfectly usually
in live account, there are some trading costs eg commission, slippage, latency, spread. these will make the ea perform not as perfectly. 
but a well written ea should survive in the this environment

Nice ty for your input.
Reason: