life expectancy of an .ex4 file?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering how long will an .ex4 still work for - given the evolutions in the version and builds of MT4? 

For instance, an .ex4 bought today will it still work in 3 years? Or will it be obsolete and unusable before?

Thank you for your answers,

Cheers,

NA

Nathan123:

Hello everyone,

I was wondering how long will an .ex4 still work for - given the evolutions in the version and builds of MT4? 

For instance, an .ex4 bought today will it still work in 3 years? Or will it be obsolete and unusable before?

Cheers,

NA

Unfortunately that's nearly impossible to answer. It really depends both on how much MQ changes the code and if the developer upgrades his EA with the changes. Some good ones do, others abandon their code.

Cheers
Filter

Nathan123:

Hello everyone,

That is completely in the hands of Metaquotes . . .  if they choose to keep supporting ex4s built with today's version of compiler then yes your ex4 will still work . . . but don't bank on it,  many ex4s built last year will not work with today's MT4.

The future can never be predicted who knows maybe forex could be banned in the future.

RaptorUK:
That is completely in the hands of Metaquotes . . .  if they choose to keep supporting ex4s built with today's version of compiler then yes your ex4 will still work . . . but don't bank on it,  many ex4s built last year will not work with today's MT4.

Not even one year life???? So basically if you buy an EA on the market it won't last one year??? So even if I write an EA, the ex4 won't last much?

I thought that Metaquotes will make new build/compiler retro-compatible for older versions?

Thanks, cheers,

NA

refer to this thread

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/8357 

Nathan123:

Not even one year life???? So basically if you buy an EA on the market it won't last one year??? So even if I write an EA, the ex4 won't last much?

I thought that Metaquotes will make new build/compiler retro-compatible for older versions? 

There was a major change to mql4, this does not happen frequently . . . but if you happen to buy an ex4 just before it does then your ex4 may no longer work.  If you had bought an ex4 five years ago you would have had at least 4 years life from it . . . and who knows,  if you buy one today it may last even longer than 4 years.  Only Metaquotes know what they are planning for the future . . .
Reason: