What does i mean at the beginning of so many words I see?

Does i stand for indicator or index? Or what?

iBars, iBarShift, iClose, iHigh, iHighest, iLow, iLowest, iOpen and so many others?

Thanks.

What you mean exactly?Could you clear more with some examples,

It's very vague question.

Doesn't stand for anything. iLow returns a price, iLowest returns a as-series index. iCCI returns the CCI indicator value.

Perhaps it meant internal. Remember you are reading English as translated by Russian programmers.

I think I found out what it means.

The book I'm reading says "If you need to retrieve bar prices from another symbol or timeframe, you can use the iClose(), iOpen(), iHigh() and iLow() functions".

So I guess I should be using: Close[], Open[], High[], Low[] for current   chart.

afiverestatcastle: I think I found out what it means.
Nothing to do with price. What part of "iLowest returns a as-series index. iCCI returns the CCI indicator value" didn't you understand?

afiverestatcastle:

I think I found out what it means.

The book I'm reading says "If you need to retrieve bar prices from another symbol or timeframe, you can use the iClose(), iOpen(), iHigh() and iLow() functions".

So I guess I should be using: Close[], Open[], High[], Low[] for current   chart.

The function name to retrieve those data you want, contains the letter "i" at the beginning.  

It is just that. By definition.

William Roeder:

Doesn't stand for anything. iLow returns a price, iLowest returns a as-series index. iCCI returns the CCI indicator value.

Perhaps it meant internal. Remember you are reading English as translated by Russian programmers.

Off-topic, but.. I think it could mean "historical" (without the "h", like if it were: istorical ) because it retrieves those data from local history downloaded data.. 

May be something related to translation/interpretation as you pointed. But for memorisation is better to think of it as "internal" anyway ;)

As far as I can tell the one thing in common these i functions have is to select a different timeframe or the current timeframe. These timeframes and also some other inputs are referred to by using their identifier name eg. PERIOD_M1

Brian Rumbles:
As far as I can tell the one thing in common these i functions have is to select a different timeframe or the current timeframe. These timeframes and also some other inputs are referred to by using their identifier name eg. PERIOD_M1

Excellent reply, the main purpose is to let you select any other timeframe! (Or for the current one, passing PERIOD_CURRENT)

rrocchi:

Excellent reply, the main purpose is to let you select any other timeframe! (Or for the current one, passing PERIOD_CURRENT)

Thanks but I think the OP afivestatcastle said it first above. I was also implying that the i might stand for identifier , but can't be too sure. 

Actually after looking at it again I am pretty sure that the i should logically stand for instrument
Reason: