Why are 'saved' Profiles NOT saved?

I'm sure this has been raised many times before, but I can't find a discussion of the topic.

When you 'save' a Profile, I would expect it to be SAVED. However, when a different chart or template is selected, it overwrites the Profile you have just been viewing. When you go back and select that same Profile or logout/login to MT4, the Profile has been overwritten and lost. That's so annoying.

With no evident solution, what are suggested workarounds?

Thanks

dns098:

I'm sure this has been raised many times before, but I can't find a discussion of the topic.

When you 'save' a Profile, I would expect it to be SAVED. However, when a different chart or template is selected, it overwrites the Profile you have just been viewing. When you go back and select that same Profile or logout/login to MT4, the Profile has been overwritten and lost. That's so annoying.

Thanks

Did you save the Profile with a different name?

Are you talking about Profiles or Templates?

Did you install in \program file* and thus are having UAC problems?

Hi ubzen,

I am talking about Profiles. I have created and SAVED Profiles of the currency pairs I am interested in trading to show trend direction on Weekly, Daily, 4-hour & hourly charts using a simple MA. When I come to my computer in the morning I flick through the Profiles using CTRL-PF5. At any point I might want to see the currency chart I am looking at, say EURJPY, with a different Template, say Bollinger Bands or Heiken Ashi indicator. That display of the chart with its different indicator OVERWRITES the Profile which I had been looking at and the specific Profile I had created is lost and has to be re-created.

That seems odd to me. If I SAVE a Template it remains SAVED, unless I specifically change something in the Template and save it on a prompt panel; if I save a Profile it does NOT remain saved - it is overwritten by the next chart I display.

I imagine this has been brought up many times before ... I would have thought most traders would have struck this problem ... then what are suggested workarounds?

Thanks

dns098:

Hi ubzen,

I am talking about Profiles. I have created and SAVED Profiles of the currency pairs I am interested in trading to show trend direction on Weekly, Daily, 4-hour & hourly charts using a simple MA. When I come to my computer in the morning I flick through the Profiles using CTRL-PF5. At any point I might want to see the currency chart I am looking at, say EURJPY, with a different Template, say Bollinger Bands or Heiken Ashi indicator. That display of the chart with its different indicator OVERWRITES the Profile which I had been looking at and the specific Profile I had created is lost and has to be re-created.

That seems odd to me. If I SAVE a Template it remains SAVED, unless I specifically change something in the Template and save it on a prompt panel; if I save a Profile it does NOT remain saved - it is overwritten by the next chart I display.

I imagine this has been brought up many times before ... I would have thought most traders would have struck this problem ... then what are suggested workarounds?

Thanks

If you installed the program in Program_Files* ... Try this. Turn_Off UAC. If your saving profile starts working ... then you know you're having UAC issues. You can always turn UAC back on.

Added: I just tested profiles and they appear to auto_save. I do-not remember if this was always the case. But whatever changes I'm making while using a profile is permanent even without saving it.

Thanks

Masimkhan:

Thanks

After creating the profile .. go into the profile folder .. find the one you just created ... right_click the files ... go to properties ... make them read_only.

Hi ubzen,

I can see the point of making the Profiles read-only, but I don't see how that can be accomplished.

OK, so I create a Profile - lets say it is made up of 4 charts - weekly, daily, 4-hour and 1-hour for EURJPY. I save that as Profile 'Trends EURJPY', so now that Profile can be found under File / Profiles.

If I right-click on 'Trends EURJPY' under File / Profiles, nothing happens; no pull down menu of alternatives appears.

So where do I find Properties for the Profile I have just created? Thanks

dns098:

Hi ubzen,

I can see the point of making the Profiles read-only, but I don't see how that can be accomplished.

OK, so I create a Profile - lets say it is made up of 4 charts - weekly, daily, 4-hour and 1-hour for EURJPY. I save that as Profile 'Trends EURJPY', so now that Profile can be found under File / Profiles.

If I right-click on 'Trends EURJPY' under File / Profiles, nothing happens; no pull down menu of alternatives appears.

So where do I find Properties for the Profile I have just created? Thanks

In this article: https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/1560

It shows the folder which holds the Profiles. It may be different on your computer depending on where you installed mt4.

Profiles are saved automatically. The available command is "Save as..." which allow you to give an other name. Any change you made on a chart, or adding/removing new chart(s) are automatically saved.

This has nothing to do with UAC, it's how it works.

dns098: if I save a Profile it does NOT remain saved - it is overwritten by the next chart I display.
A Profile is a saved group of charts. If you want the next chart to look like the last, save a template as default.tpl.
Reason: