Documentation and Trading Development

I've been developing systems in MQL4 for about a year now and seem to run into the same types of problems when developing and testing systems. After I form a hypothesis, write the program and test out the system, I analyze the results, come up with ways to make it better, and continue along this path. The problem is that through constantly testing and optimizing your systems and trying out new features and functions, one has a hard time keeping track of what works best. For example if you optimize your strategy and find the best settings, and then later, you decide you want to add an ATR to screen out trading during increased volatility, their maybe some other settings that work better, therefore you have to optimize again. This continues for some time until I have so many different features and settings that I optimizations grow to consume the majority of my time.

Is there any sort of documentation or suggestions that help with organizing codes, functions, settings, optimizations, and versions of your code?

Bauer_Boy:

I've been developing systems in MQL4 for about a year now and seem to run into the same types of problems when developing and testing systems. After I form a hypothesis, write the program and test out the system, I analyze the results, come up with ways to make it better, and continue along this path. The problem is that through constantly testing and optimizing your systems and trying out new features and functions, one has a hard time keeping track of what works best. For example if you optimize your strategy and find the best settings, and then later, you decide you want to add an ATR to screen out trading during increased volatility, their maybe some other settings that work better, therefore you have to optimize again. This continues for some time until I have so many different features and settings that I optimizations grow to consume the majority of my time.

Is there any sort of documentation or suggestions that help with organizing codes, functions, settings, optimizations, and versions of your code?

For version control I recommend subversion with tortoisesvn (if u r using windows...). Tutorials are widely available, just google it.

Reason: