Transfer MT4 Platform data from One Computer to Another.

Gentlmen,

I shall require your expert assistance. I have MT4 Trading Platform in conjunction with "Oanda" on my home computer. I have purchased a Laptop for travelling purposes, and I need to copy all my trading related MT4 data from one computer to another. I have attempted to download a fresh platform, by using my existing user name / password / and MT4- a/c number. But the downloaded platform was brand new. None of my saved templates were there. I also attempted to copy and paste, from C:\ drive, Program Files, Oanda-MetaTrader folder into the new computer. I am still getting a blank, brand new screen, as if I have to start all that work again. Is there a way I can copy ALL my saved templates and Files for my currency pairs, from one computer to another, without doing all that laborious work all over again.

Best Regards,

Haig

Copy the entire folder where its installed on your old computer. Put it on a thumb drive or something and transfer it to the new computer.

ubzen:
Copy the entire folder where its installed on your old computer. Put it on a thumb drive or something and transfer it to the new computer.

Hi Ubzen,

I tried that several times. It did not work !!

Thanks for your call.

On windows vista or 7, don't use the default c:/Program Files/* Folder.

Store your platform direct on C:/ or on a different drive

zzuegg:

. . . or address the underlying issue.

RaptorUK:
. . . or address the underlying issue.
Indeed, but i would not give the advise to disable all security features...

Have a read of this: http://crum.be/mt4

zzuegg:

Hi zzuegg

What makes you think that your recommenation will make that big difference.

What do you think you have on C:/ drive......other folders similar to Program Files.

Do you think the different Driv will make that much difference....Explain yourself !

C:/Program Files is protected by windows UAC. If you modify/create files within a program, they are not stored in the program folder, but a virtual one, created by windows. (I don't remember the actual location, but i assume somewhere in the user directory.)

Windows UAC supervises only a few directorys, different drives, or even the root folder C:/ are not protected and so you won't have any issues.

It could also be that on your PC the files you want are already stored in that virtual folder-

RaptorUK:
Have a read of this: http://crum.be/mt4

Hi RaptorUK

Many Thanks for your lead.

I am exploring this new Avenue.

The only issue is, after moving MetaTrader folder from "Program Files" and installing it under C:/ drive

I lost my short cut button on desktop to start the platform.

Best Regards,

Haig

gocheriH06:

I lost my short cut button on desktop to start the platform.

Best Regards,

Haig

You can re-create the shortcut . . . right click the desktop, click new, select Shortcut, Browse to the diectroy where you copied MT4 and find terminal.exe . . . . or

open the directory where you copied MT4, find terminal.exe, drag it to your Desktop while holding the Ctrl and Shift keys . . . then let go and you will have a shortcut.

Reason: