LiveUpdate.exe Crashing Terminal.exe (Build 419, 427, and 432)

Hello everyone,

We do EA performance testing and operate about 200 MT4 platforms across a dozen VPS's, so we are pretty well-versed with MT4 installation, updates and maintenance.

Since Build 419 (including 427 and 432) we are having issues with terminal.exe crashing immediately after it opens. It will flash on the screen for a split second, then close.

If we rename or delete liveupdate.exe, then MT4 opens and operates just fine.

If we're having the issue with a Build 427 installation, we will usually install a copy of Build 432 over the top of it. After that, sometimes it starts working OK, and sometimes the issue (terminal.exe crashing) continues. In all cases, deleting liveupdate.exe allows terminal.exe to run properly.

I'm surprised not to find any mention of this symptom in other recent forum posts, so I'm creating a new thread. Has anyone else experienced this? It would be nice to leave liveupdate.exe in the folder. It's a pain in the butt to maintain so many platforms with a glitch like this, especially with the flood of updates we've had recently.

Scott Wang
Forex Verified

Edit: We're running Windows 2008 Servers with UAC disabled.

forexverified:

Hello everyone,

We do EA performance testing and operate about 200 MT4 platforms across a dozen VPS's, so we are pretty well-versed with MT4 installation, updates and maintenance.

Since Build 419 (including 427 and 432) we are having issues with terminal.exe crashing immediately after it opens. It will flash on the screen for a split second, then close.

If we're having the issue with a Build 427 installation, we will usually install a copy of Build 432 over the top of it. After that, sometimes it starts working OK, and sometimes the issue (terminal.exe crashing) continues. In all cases, deleting liveupdate.exe allows terminal.exe to run properly.

I'm surprised not to find any mention of this symptom in other recent forum posts, so I'm creating a new thread. Has anyone else experienced this? It would be nice to leave liveupdate.exe in the folder. It's a pain in the butt to maintain so many platforms with a glitch like this, especially with the flood of updates we've had recently.

Scott Wang
Forex Verified

I am also surprise no one has shed more light on this issue, I too have had to delete the Live Update installer just to get MT4 to work after the force update

Scott, THANK YOU for bringing this to MT4's attention> It has been causing us a living hell. If you find any solutions to this SUPER ANNOYING bug, please post it up here. thank you for the tip on renaming liveupdate, as that has helped tremendously

Scott does this seem to only effect you on various VPSs? I have for example, 4xHosting's best vps. Then i have a dedicated server. Both running windows 2008. The 4xhosting vps seems to be the only one causing the problem. Trying to figure out what could be different on the platform, since its the same OS. Just one is a dedicated server, and one is a VPS. everything else identical.

forexverified:

Hello everyone,

Scott Wang
Forex Verified

Hello forexverified,

I'm having EXACTLY the same issue on two of my VPS running Windows Server 2008 Standard (service pack2) with all recent updates from µSoft installed. Also i'ld like to thank you for your advice to temporary rename the the executable file liveupdate.exe else i was not any more able to start my MT4 platform.

I also downloaded the last recent MT4setup.exe from this link: https://download.mql5.com/cdn/web/metaquotes.software.corp/mt4/mt4setup.exe

I am really surprised that the build release installed using this link is the 419. Normally the release should be 432 ?

As you are managing many platform, have you an idea why i am not having the last release (build 432) by using this download link ?

Thank for your help.

Best regards.
Yann.

Hi,

I have this problem, I've deleted or renamed the liveupdate exe . file as you suggest, but nothing changes .So, if you have another idea, tell me .Or probably I hope next update will resolve this issue

thank you in advanced

Hi guys,

My apologies for not responding sooner - I never received an email notification of a reply and I kept forgetting to check the board.

Mavy - we too are using the "Pro" servers from 4xHosting.com. I haven't noticed the issue on any other computers/VPS's but almost all of our platforms are on these servers so it's possible it's just a coincidence. Since others are having the same issue I don't think it's a problem just with 4xHosting but it may be related to Server 2008.

But... since deleting liveupdate.exe fixes it, I think it's more of an MT4 issue.

breizhforex - I'm not sure why that download is giving you build 419. Maybe that link just hasn't been updated yet. Have you tried to download it from your broker again? Most brokers have updated their installers by now.

Scott

forexverified:

Hi guys,

My apologies for not responding sooner - I never received an email notification of a reply and I kept forgetting to check the board.

Mavy - we too are using the "Pro" servers from 4xHosting.com. I haven't noticed the issue on any other computers/VPS's but almost all of our platforms are on these servers so it's possible it's just a coincidence. Since others are having the same issue I don't think it's a problem just with 4xHosting but it may be related to Server 2008.

But... since deleting liveupdate.exe fixes it, I think it's more of an MT4 issue.

breizhforex - I'm not sure why that download is giving you build 419. Maybe that link just hasn't been updated yet. Have you tried to download it from your broker again? Most brokers have updated their installers by now.

Scott

kover:

Hallo,

i want to remark that i have the same problem on my old 300 Mhz Laptop with 256 Mb Ram running windows XP3.

I deleted the liveupdate.exe, but doesn't solve the problem.

I installed MT4 on different other PC and Laptops, which the same OS and service packs installed and all are running.

Next I installed a new OS (XP Sp2) on my old 300Mhz Laptop and installed MT4 again.

... no success. Same Problem.

I think the reason for this problem could be the low memory.

And now I wait for the next update of MT4.

Greetings

Klaus

Hi.

I have also stumpled upon this error. Had a litte conversation with alpari to check things out.

Long story short:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email.

The minimum system requirements for Build 432 is:

Windows XP
CPU must Support SSE2 Commands
2 GB RAM.

According to your email you have:

Windows XP professional SP3
900 Mhz
640 MB RAM

I am afraid that the problem lies on the RAM that you have, as it does not seem to be enough to run the program.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.

Kind Regards

I'm also running MT4 on a compuer with

Windows XP Professional SP3
1900Mhz
1536 MB RAM

On this computer MT4 works fine.

Sure there is a difference in RAM, but I think the biggest difference is that my 900 Mhz computer doesn't support SSE2 (neither does the other one, but atleast it supports SSE).

Hopefully metaquotes will correct/change so we still can use our old computers as servers.

Regards

Enotrek

Reason: