arithmetical coding related question - page 2

RaptorUK:

Nope,  why not just declare the array ?

Pointer is a bit of an unfortunate word to use as mql4 does not use pointers . . . .  index is a much better word IMO and it is the cell or place in the array where yo want to read a value from or write a value to,  just like you do with the Order pool.  So if you want the 5th value in the array you use ArrayName[4]   and 4 is the index

Liam's term 'pointer' may not be a term in  MQL4 BUT ;) Liam's term 'pointer' universally makes sense if a person(s) codes in different languages. Anyhow, thanks to Liam for his helpful post.

Ah, yep, seems a cycle would play it's part just nicely to locate an index. I can't think of a more applicable use than a cycle. Greatly appreciated Simon.

Thank you

WhooDoo22:

A vector has quantity, direction and mass. Arrays store vectors. I guess when it all boils down, a vector can have any data-type, assuming the quantity has direction and mass.

A vector typically has a usual data-type of double or integer. It's all just more ways to crunch numbers.

Prices do not have mass so your "Vector" can't be used.  Why are you trying to invent terminology ?  it does not aid communication.

Vector in the C++ standard libarary is a array wrapper. Maybe what he's use to. vector - C++ Reference

WHRoeder:
Vector in the C++ standard libarary is a array wrapper. Maybe what he's use to. vector - C++ Reference
Ah I see,  dynamic arrays,  but this is not mql4.

RaptorUK:
Ah I see,  dynamic arrays,  but this is not mql4.

Simon, I'm not trying to confuse you by using terminology outside MQL4. I assumed you understood what I meant BUT ;) in this case, I assumed too much. It seems William has introduced you to what I believe defines the term vector according to C++ lingo. I believe there's multiple uses of the term vector but generally speaking, a vector is typically referred to as an object possessing quantity, direction and mass. Arrays can store values of a vector.

What say you to this, Simon?

Also, thank you William for your interpretation of C++'s meaning of the term vector. Thank you

Thank you

Reason: