How can I use EAs Correctly With Prop Trading Accounts?

Is there any correct method to set up expert advisors for prop trading companies?

Take a few lessons from Prop Firms (Part 1) — An introduction
Take a few lessons from Prop Firms (Part 1) — An introduction
  • www.mql5.com
In this introductory article, I address a few of the lessons one can take from the challenge rules that proprietary trading firms implement. This is especially relevant for beginners and those who struggle to find their footing in this world of trading. The subsequent article will address the code implementation.

aleksandre.dumas:
Is there any correct method to set up expert advisors for prop trading companies?

Generally speaking, it is not an easy task.

But I can tell you something and you can use this as a rule of thumb.

When you backtest an expert advisor, you have statistics - Max Equity Drawdown. It is the value that defines your risk. When you run an expert advisor in a prop company, you need to take into account that value.

That is, if your daily DD limit is 5%, it is 500USD for a 10K account.

If the  Max Equity Drawdown is say, 1200USD, basically it is risky to use that EA.

Ideally, you want to use an EA that generates max equity DD under 500USD, or you need to play with the optimization for the same EA.

Overall you need to balance between the daily DD limit  of prop account and the max Equity DD of the expert advisor.

Hope this helps...

Evren Caglar #:

Generally speaking, it is not an easy task.

But I can tell you something and you can use this as a rule of thumb.

When you backtest an expert advisor, you have statistics - Max Equity Drawdown. It is the value that defines your risk. When you run an expert advisor in a prop company, you need to take into account that value.

That is, if your daily DD limit is 5%, it is 500USD for a 10K account.

If the  Max Equity Drawdown is say, 1200USD, basically it is risky to use that EA.

Ideally, you want to use an EA that generates max equity DD under 500USD, or you need to play with the optimization for the same EA.

Overall you need to balance between the daily DD limit  of prop account and the max Equity DD of the expert advisor.

Hope this helps...

Thank you very much for all, I appreciate it!

aleksandre.dumas #:
Thank you very much for all, I appreciate it!

Welcome, please also have a look at the blog post, some day you may need it:

https://www.mql5.com/en/blogs/post/757693

QUALITY OR QUANTITY DOES MATTER IN TRADING?
QUALITY OR QUANTITY DOES MATTER IN TRADING?
  • www.mql5.com
When I first started trading in 2007, I was compelled by the trading opportunities and all-day-long trading sessions. I read the descriptions of indicators and placed positions accordingly. However