Reverse Engineering

Hi I hope you are all doing well. 

I'm new to the concept of Reverse Engineering, I tried to google it online, but it is used in many contexts with different definition that it became really confusing. Can you please give me an easy to understand definition of Reverse Engineering?, in addition can you confirm if Reverse Engineering  and the Fourier series extrapolation are the same thing ? if not, what is the difference. 

Thanks

Sie Samuel Roland Youl: Can you please give me an easy to understand definition of Reverse Engineering?, in addition can you confirm if Reverse Engineering  and the Fourier series extrapolation are the same thing ? if not, what is the difference.
  1. Reverse Engineering is seeing a car drive by and figuring out how an internal combustion engine works.
  2. Fourier series extrapolation is, a given oscillation, assuming it is a combination of different frequencies and amplitudes, how it will move in the future. Nothing to do with RE.

In another word the  Reverse Engineering is just the process to understand how a trading strategy work, but it isn't any trading strategy.

Thanks for the explanation.

I look at someone's code, at first glance, I don't know how all the parts are connected. I have to "reverse engineer" it to figure it out. Reverse engineering is used in science, engineering, and other kinds of research.

Conor Mcnamara #:
I look at someone's code, at first glance, I don't know how all the parts are connected. I have to "reverse engineer" it to figure it out. Reverse engineering is used in science, engineering, and other kinds of research, it's not really used in the context of trading strategies. Strategies just involve testing.

I understand, Thanks for your explanation.

Sie Samuel Roland Youl:

Hi I hope you are all doing well. 

I'm new to the concept of Reverse Engineering, I tried to google it online, but it is used in many contexts with different definition that it became really confusing. Can you please give me an easy to understand definition of Reverse Engineering?, in addition can you confirm if Reverse Engineering  and the Fourier series extrapolation are the same thing ? if not, what is the difference. 

Thanks

Google has many explanations for this, the same way we re create software, rebuild or clone can be found on google 

Maybe you can "reverse engineer" a mathematical function by modelling it with the help of Fourier Series. Could it be that the article you read was about computers calculating curves via Fourier Series?
Reason: