Using time frames in trading

Hey guys,

First post here!

I've been trading for a few months now with mixed success using different indicators to aid me in my decision.

I always tend to use several time graphs to get a trend across all of them, however this is where I have the question.

I can't quite grasp what the time graphs indicate.

For example, a M1 graph could indicate a decline in price, whilst the M5 and M15 indicate an incline.

If I'm looking to trade for a few minutes (quick profit/quick loss) then which do I trust?? The longer or shorter time frame.

I guess what I'm asking is, does the timeframe used for analysis relate to 'roughly' the amount of time I should expect to be in a trade?

Ovbiously this is all anaylsis and nothing is guaranteed, but is that the general idea of it - i.e; analyse M15, H1 and H4 and they all state an incline, however if I entered the trade and it went down 20 points, but I left the trade open and eventually went up 60 points is that the 'jist' of it?

I hope I explained my question with enough detail and clarity, hopefully someone can help to set my query straight.

Regards

fastone.

Anyone at all?

There is a lot of calculation on different timeframe. But i would suggest for long term, choose longer timeframe, so that you won't stuck in front of the computers and become stressful to you.

Do homework on each time frame, and how much pips you can get. Focus on the pips and then only on the money.

Here are some general guidelines...as in forex there is no "exact" answer, one is always adapting to market conditions.

look at 15-30 charts if you are trading 1 minute chart

look at 1 hr if you are trading 5 minute

look at 4 hr if you are trading 15-30 minute

You can then look at an even smaller timeframe for entry/exit..example..1 minute chart - tick chart, 5 minute chart use 1 minute.

But remember to always be aware of the overall trend in the market, unless you are getting in and out within a minute then it doesn't really matter.

And yes, all three can be in the same trend, you get in and out, lose pips, and the pair eventually makes pips. Part of the game. Short term trading is hard..you win some you lose some. But if they are all trending the same, it is a good start. Having said that, I've made decent pips on short reversals or dips going against the bigger trend, sometimes luck helps.

fastone:
Hey guys,First post here! I've been trading for a few months now with mixed success using different indicators to aid me in my decision.I always tend to use several time graphs to get a trend across all of them, however this is where I have the question.I can't quite grasp what the time graphs indicate.For example, a M1 graph could indicate a decline in price, whilst the M5 and M15 indicate an incline.If I'm looking to trade for a few minutes (quick profit/quick loss) then which do I trust?? The longer or shorter time frame.I guess what I'm asking is, does the timeframe used for analysis relate to 'roughly' the amount of time I should expect to be in a trade?Ovbiously this is all anaylsis and nothing is guaranteed, but is that the general idea of it - i.e; analyse M15, H1 and H4 and they all state an incline, however if I entered the trade and it went down 20 points, but I left the trade open and eventually went up 60 points is that the 'jist' of it?I hope I explained my question with enough detail and clarity, hopefully someone can help to set my query straight.Regardsfastone.

stevenglobal:
There is a lot of calculation on different timeframe. But i would suggest for long term, choose longer timeframe, so that you won't stuck in front of the computers and become stressful to you. Do homework on each time frame, and how much pips you can get. Focus on the pips and then only on the money.

Like steven said, go for long term & definitely focus on the pips more than the actual money.

fastone:
Hey guys,First post here! I've been trading for a few months now with mixed success using different indicators to aid me in my decision.I always tend to use several time graphs to get a trend across all of them, however this is where I have the question.I can't quite grasp what the time graphs indicate.For example, a M1 graph could indicate a decline in price, whilst the M5 and M15 indicate an incline.If I'm looking to trade for a few minutes (quick profit/quick loss) then which do I trust?? The longer or shorter time frame.I guess what I'm asking is, does the timeframe used for analysis relate to 'roughly' the amount of time I should expect to be in a trade?Ovbiously this is all anaylsis and nothing is guaranteed, but is that the general idea of it - i.e; analyse M15, H1 and H4 and they all state an incline, however if I entered the trade and it went down 20 points, but I left the trade open and eventually went up 60 points is that the 'jist' of it?I hope I explained my question with enough detail and clarity, hopefully someone can help to set my query straight.Regardsfastone.

Great strategy you have there, just stick with your plan. I think i can borrow something from you that can help.

Longer time frame is better because it conveys what you don't see on short time frame chart. You can use short time frame for scalping.

I agree with @jessicason, Long term trading always profitable, in short term, more chance to getting losses.

time frame trading used by traders depends on trading strategy each trader. If traders prefer to trade with a long term strategy it could use a time frame D1, W1, and MN but if you use the short term it would be better to use the time frame M1 to D1

i trade with h1 frame . my stategy is short term . i like it

I like trading higher time frames. I just find them more accurate.

Reason: