Possible bugs - build 210

Hi,

There are a few possible bugs I've come across over the last month which I thought you might like to know about:

1. If a chart is opened and quotes need to be downloaded, the download fails if MetaQuotes looses it's connection which is to be expected - no connection, no quotes downloaded. However, if only a few quotes have been downloaded (MetaQuotes downloads the most recent quotes to the least recent quotes) and the connection fails (which happens reasonably frequently, depending on the speed of the broker's quote server), the rest of the quotes are not downloaded when the connection is restored. This means that you end up with quote gaps in your historical data. This problem is especially prominent with the M5 and M1 charts as there are of course, a lot more quotes to download with these charts than say, an hourly chart for the same time period. This then also becomes a problem when running simulations as the simulator always grabs the smallest quote timeframe it has available - if there are quote gaps, the simulations would not be accurate.

2. There are also a couple of related bugs I've found in the simulator which can significantly skew the results in certain, specific circumstances. However, since MetaQuotes can't even show me the courtesy of providing me with a reason why I was kicked out of the trading championship a day before it started (even though my Expert had previously been accepted), I won't respond with the courtesy of providing MetaQuotes with the specifics of how to replicate these bugs. While the bug above is easily explained, the replication of these two bugs requires a bit more time and a basic Expert to demonstrate - something I'm not going to waste my time on any more. So happy hunting!

Hi,

There are a few possible bugs I've come across over the last month which I thought you might like to know about:

1. If a chart is opened and quotes need to be downloaded, the download fails if MetaQuotes looses it's connection which is to be expected - no connection, no quotes downloaded. However, if only a few quotes have been downloaded (MetaQuotes downloads the most recent quotes to the least recent quotes) and the connection fails (which happens reasonably frequently, depending on the speed of the broker's quote server), the rest of the quotes are not downloaded when the connection is restored. This means that you end up with quote gaps in your historical data. This problem is especially prominent with the M5 and M1 charts as there are of course, a lot more quotes to download with these charts than say, an hourly chart for the same time period. This then also becomes a problem when running simulations as the simulator always grabs the smallest quote timeframe it has available - if there are quote gaps, the simulations would not be accurate.

2. There are also a couple of related bugs I've found in the simulator which can significantly skew the results in certain, specific circumstances. However, since MetaQuotes can't even show me the courtesy of providing me with a reason why I was kicked out of the trading championship a day before it started (even though my Expert had previously been accepted), I won't respond with the courtesy of providing MetaQuotes with the specifics of how to replicate these bugs. While the bug above is easily explained, the replication of these two bugs requires a bit more time and a basic Expert to demonstrate - something I'm not going to waste my time on any more. So happy hunting!

It was probably a profitable EA!

Metaquotes customers (the Brokers) probably insisted...

Hi Omelette,

It definitely IS a profitable EA - in fact I'm at the point of going live with it. But why would the brokers not want it in the competition? If it did well, (as I'm sure other Experts in the competition will) it would strengthen the fact that automated trading is a reality (it already is for Deutche Bank for instance - apparently 70% of all forex trading is carried out solely by computers). Wouldn't that just strengthen their cause? After all, when I go live, they're making brokerage on every trade which, at the end of the day, is what they're there for.

Hi Omelette,

It definitely IS a profitable EA - in fact I'm at the point of going live with it. But why would the brokers not want it in the competition? If it did well, (as I'm sure other Experts in the competition will) it would strengthen the fact that automated trading is a reality (it already is for Deutche Bank for instance - apparently 70% of all forex trading is carried out solely by computers). Wouldn't that just strengthen their cause? After all, when I go live, they're making brokerage on every trade which, at the end of the day, is what they're there for.

Hi. Well that remark was obviously tongue-in-cheek ('cos that's the way I am!) but having said that, nothing would surprise me. As for the brokers, well true, they are making money on every trade but those with dealing desks (most) often take the other side of the trade, so have a vested interest 'dealing with' profitable EA's.
Take the Scalper (pipper is probably more accurate) currently no. 2, that is causing all the controversy. How many brokers would welcome that beauty - two pips commission, pay the man 1, over and over and over.... - it hasn't had a losing trade yet! 10:1 odds on it being disqualified - they just could not allow something like this to win. Otherwise, 90% of next years enteries will be scalpers!

Hi Omelette,

Yeah - interesting to see that that EA was actually allowed in the competition as no retail broker would go near it - not so much because of the strategy itself as the enormous risk that's run by a retail broker with these sorts of stratagies. From what I've heard, only primary brokers will allow you to use scalping strategies but then you get hit with a commission that will take more than a few pips to pay. It's never easy! Although I suppose that if it was, everyone would be in there!

Hi Omelette,

Yeah - interesting to see that that EA was actually allowed in the competition as no retail broker would go near it - not so much because of the strategy itself as the enormous risk that's run by a retail broker with these sorts of stratagies. From what I've heard, only primary brokers will allow you to use scalping strategies but then you get hit with a commission that will take more than a few pips to pay. It's never easy! Although I suppose that if it was, everyone would be in there!

I think the reason that it 'got through' are twofold. One, they had only 10 days to check hundreds of EA's and two, scalpers last year had an abysmal record - so they'd obviously want more of the same to help re-enforce the notion that scalping is futile.

Seems to be backfiring on them :)

Scalping is not futile, as evidenced by winwin2007's EA, until you are targeted by your Dealing Desk Broker for making money.

I'll be using MTBtrading / EFXGroup soon.

Here's a forum that may be of interest... http://www.nondealingdesk.com

Scalping is not futile, as evidenced by winwin2007's EA, until you are targeted by your Dealing Desk Broker for making money.

I'll be using MTBtrading / EFXGroup soon.

Here's a forum that may be of interest... http://www.nondealingdesk.com

Absolutely, I agree. Though I would hold off trading with either of the brokers you mention, because according to the new ruling, both are under-fianced and have until December to secure sufficient funds that will allow them to continue in business. For details, check out the TSD forum thread...

Duly noted.

My investigation of "Net Capital" leads me to believe it is just a calculated line on the balance sheet, definately not Cash In The Bank.

omelette: could you provide some more info or a link on these new rules you mentioned? Thx in advance.

omelette: could you provide some more info or a link on these new rules you mentioned? Thx in advance.

Here is the discussion -- https://www.mql5.com/en/users/winwin2007
Reason: