MetaEditor function question!

Hi. I'm newbie and not native English speaker! Sorry for future mistake!

I have experience with other IDE. There are usually bracket matching and ending bracket is usually just re-typed and no need to cursor moving with keyboard or delete something. 

But MetaEditor don't cover up ending bracket. So I need to move my cursor to behind the ending bracket or I just delete it and re-type it. 

I think this is too bothering.

Am I missing some good tip or function? or just only am I bothering this..?

And Is there a line wrapping? When I type long expression.. I can't see it!!

Thank you!

Integration with other IDEs - Welcome to algorithmic trading - MetaEditor Help
  • www.metatrader5.com
MetaEditor allows you to write code not only in MQL4 and MQL5. You can also edit and compile the C++ and Python source code. In addition, you can...

I've set up vsc with some new extension. It perfectly works!

But I am newbie, I print variables very often for checking. Is there a way to see output of print function only using vsc without opening metatrader terminal?

Is there a way to debug mql5 in vscode?

Moth #:

I've set up vsc with some new extension. It perfectly works!

But I am newbie, I print variables very often for checking. Is there a way to see output of print function only using vsc without opening metatrader terminal?

Is there a way to debug mql5 in vscode?

No, you cannot debug inside of VC.

The compiler is not equipped with the necessary hooks documented to make this possible.

To read the logs outside of MT or ME, you need to open the log file. It's a txt file in folder MQL5/logs/*. But the file is flushed by MT occasionally, not in real time. So it might be outdated by a couple if minutes.

Dominik Egert #:
No, you cannot debug inside of VC.

The compiler is not equipped with the necessary hooks documented to make this possible.

To read the logs outside of MT or ME, you need to open the log file. It's a txt file in folder MQL5/logs/*. But the file is flushed by MT occasionally, not in real time. So it might be outdated by a couple if minutes.

Yes. Log file is lagging and too big.. not ideal for me.

I open 4 windows. Metatrader5 terminal, Metaeditor, vsc and mql5.chm. I write some code snippet in vsc and compile it in vsc -> then go to metaeditor push F5 for running -> then go to metatrater5 terminal for checking Experts log. 

For now, from what I've learned so far, I think this is the best way to debug with other IDE, is that correct?

Moth #:

I open 4 windows. Metatrader5 terminal, Metaeditor, vsc and mql5.chm. I write some code snippet in vsc and compile it in vsc -> then go to metaeditor push F5 for running -> then go to metatrater5 terminal for checking Experts log. 

For now, from what I've learned so far, I think this is the best way to debug with other IDE, is that correct?

Sounds a complicated, but seems to be the process....

I use only NP++ and ME with MT. That's already enough for me, considering I also use a version control on top...

I guess as developers, we have lots of tools for our job.

EDIT:

One very important tool: Browser!!!

Dominik Egert #:
Sounds a complicated, but seems to be the process....

I use only NP++ and ME with MT. That's already enough for me, considering I also use a version control on top...

I guess as developers, we have lots of tools for our job.

EDIT:

One very important tool: Browser!!!

I think vsc and np++ are basically the same but the difference in taste.

Yes I should have to consider version control, too.

Browser is god!!!

Thank you!

Moth #:

I think vsc and np++ are basically the same but the difference in taste.

Yes I should have to consider version control, too.

Browser is god!!!

Thank you!

sure.

I use GitAhead, very good client for version control and git is also available for VC, you don't need to upload to GitHub, btw.
Reason: