- Reviews (4)
- Comments (21)
- What's new
Modified TTM Squeeze Indicator
"The Squeeze indicator attempts to identify periods of consolidation in a market. In general the market is either in a period of quiet consolidation or vertical price discovery. By identifying these calm periods, we have a better opportunity of getting into trades with the potential for larger moves. Once a market enters into a "squeeze," we watch the overall market momentum to help forecast the market direction and await a release of market energy."
The Modified TTM Squeeze Indicator is a modification of John Carter's TTM Squeeze volatility indicator, designed to give faster entry points than the original. This indicator is designed to identify both entry and exit points for major price movements. Green and red histograms depict upward and downward price movements, respectively. Darker histogram bar colors indicate that the trend is fading. Black crosses on the midline signify price squeezes, while grey crosses signify a release from squeeze. Trade in the direction of the trend on the first grey cross after a squeeze. Exit when trend fades (darker green/red).
Do you prefer the original TTM Squeeze? This Modified TTM Squeeze Indicator allows you to switch between modified and traditional squeeze indicators.
There are many trading strategies described for the TTM Squeeze indicator, all of which can also be used with the Modified TTM Squeeze indicator. A simple effective strategy is described below:
- Wait for a squeeze period, which lasts at least 3 bars
- On the first grey bar (release from squeeze), trade in the direction of the trend. (i.e., if the Modified TTM Squeeze value is above zero, place a call; if the indicator value is below zero, place a put)
- Exit trade when price enters the next squeeze (risky) or when the trend fades, indicated by darker green/red histogram bars (conservative)
An excellent setup is when two or more major timeframes are in a squeeze. Enter the trade when the lower timeframe is released from the squeeze. For example, both 15min and 5min periods are in a squeeze period. Enter trade when 5min period is released from squeeze. While squeeze patterns in higher timeframes generally indicates a larger move, anecdotally in forex, TTM squeeze works best on the 4 hour period and shorter.
The Modified TTM Squeeze also pairs well with ADX indicators.
- BB length (Default=20): Number of bars used to calculate Bollinger Bands, used for squeeze
- BB multiplier (Default=2.0): Number of standard deviations used for Bollinger Bands
- KC length (Default=20): Number of bars used to calculate Keltner Channel, used for squeeze
- KC multiplier (Default=1.5): Multiplier used for Keltner Channel
- Use original TTM (Default=false): If true, changes indicator to the traditional TTM squeeze. If false, the indicator uses the modified TTM squeeze, with improved momentum calculation
- Allow alerts (true/false): If false, prevents any alerts
- Alert when squeeze begins (true/false): If true, sends alert on squeeze onset
- Alert when squeeze is released (true/false): If true, sends alert when squeeze is released
- Alert when trend fades (true/false): If true, sends alert when up or downtrend fades (as indicated by a darker green/red line on histogram)
- Turn on alert message (true/false): If true, alerts will create a message box
- Turn on alerts sound (true/false): If true, alerts will play a sound
- Turn on alerts email (true/false): If true, alerts will send an email
- Fixed bug in which colors and bar widths reverted to default when switching timeframes
- Added ability for user to mute alert warning messages
- Updated logo
Allow alerts (true/false): If false, prevents any alerts
Alert when squeeze begins (true/false): If true, sends alert on squeeze onset
Alert when squeeze is released (true/false): If true, sends alert when squeeze is released
Alert when trend fades (true/false): If true, sends alert when up or downtrend fades (as indicated by a darker green/red line on histogram)
Turn on alert message (true/false): If true, alerts will create a message box
Turn on alerts sound (true/false): If true, alerts will play a sound
Turn on alerts email (true/false): If true, alerts will send an email *
* Email address and smtp must be set up in MT4 options. Note: MT4 email alerts do not support SSL smtp servers.