Is MT5 corrupting Windows 10 Installation?

Hi guys,

I'm facing some issues while optimizing EAs using MT5. I'm testing a lot of instruments for some EAs. Always using "Every tick based on real ticks". And after sometimes my Windows install just got kind of stucked and real slow. For the last, before it demands a clean W10 install, when I've started the optimization the computer just restarted . After some tries it crashed the W10 OS.

I know that it can be a lot of issues related to this, specially related to hardware issue. I have an i5 8400 with 8GB RAM with windows installed into an SSD drive.

After a clean Windows install I've got the same behavior. It just restarted my machine when I've started one backtest. i'm verifying with you from the community to isolate this issue and find a solution asap.

BTW: I've tested my hardware using Everest software and there is no issue with it. Do you believe in bug or something with MT5 data managing ? It looks like that with more data downloaded, slower it gets.

Thank you!

Eklon Eleuterio:

Hi guys,

I'm facing some issues while optimizing EAs using MT5. I'm testing a lot of instruments for some EAs. Always using "Every tick based on real ticks". And after sometimes my Windows install just got kind of stucked and real slow. For the last, before it demands a clean W10 install, when I've started the optimization the computer just restarted . After some tries it crashed the W10 OS.

I know that it can be a lot of issues related to this, specially related to hardware issue. I have an i5 8400 with 8GB RAM with windows installed into an SSD drive.

After a clean Windows install I've got the same behavior. It just restarted my machine when I've started one backtest. i'm verifying with you from the community to isolate this issue and find a solution asap.

BTW: I've tested my hardware using Everest software and there is no issue with it. Do you believe in bug or something with MT5 data managing ? It looks like that with more data downloaded, slower it gets.

Thank you!

Be aware of SSD write cycle issues.
https://searchstorage.techtarget.com/definition/write-cycle

For heavy/rapid "write" access application, I would recommend to use RAM disk
https://www.maketecheasier.com/setup-ram-disk-windows/

What is SSD write cycle? - Definition from WhatIs.com
What is SSD write cycle? - Definition from WhatIs.com
  • searchstorage.techtarget.com
An SSD write cycle is the process of programming data to a NAND flash memory chip in a solid-state storage device. A block of data stored on a flash memory chip must be electrically erased before new data can be written, or programmed, to the solid-state drive (SSD). The SSD write cycle is also known as the program/erase (P/E) cycle. When an...

Soewono Effendi:

Be aware of SSD write cycle issues.
https://searchstorage.techtarget.com/definition/write-cycle

For heavy/rapid "write" access application, I would recommend to use RAM disk
https://www.maketecheasier.com/setup-ram-disk-windows/

Thank you for your contribution!

I'm aware bout SSD drive and this is the last one that I'll have. They just after sometime.

But... I've tested one simple optimization. I've tried with one parameter only and suddently my machine starts to non respond . The mouse starts to freeze and my memory consuption go until the max. Then the PC crashed into blue screen and QR code error : "Memory Management" .

1 - Is possible to this issue is linked to some power management?

2 - Is possible to be related to Windows 10 issues?

I'm kind of stuck here.

This is a fresh install. Only installed updated drivers, got stucked with one Windows Update package, but Most of them is working

Eklon Eleuterio:

Thank you for your contribution!

I'm aware bout SSD drive and this is the last one that I'll have. They just after sometime.

But... I've tested one simple optimization. I've tried with one parameter only and suddently my machine starts to non respond . The mouse starts to freeze and my memory consuption go until the max. Then the PC crashed into blue screen and QR code error : "Memory Management" .

1 - Is possible to this issue is linked to some power management?

2 - Is possible to be related to Windows 10 issues?

I'm kind of stuck here.

This is a fresh install. Only installed updated drivers, got stucked with one Windows Update package, but Most of them is working

It may be your EA, MT5 or your RAM or whatever, nobody can guess. If you post a test case EA we can try it and say you how it behaves.

Alain Verleyen:
It may be your EA, MT5 or your RAM or whatever, nobody can guess. If you post a test case EA we can try it and say you how it behaves.

Hi Alain!

What kind of test case would be helpfull?

I'm not able to run a single optimization process without freeze my Windows.

Eklon Eleuterio:

Hi Alain!

What kind of test case would be helpfull?

I'm not able to run a single optimization process without freeze my Windows.

A test case is a code that will allow me (or anyone) to reproduce your issue. It doesn't need to include your trading logic provided it produces the "freezing" with an optimization.

Alain Verleyen:
A test case is a code that will allow me (or anyone) to reproduce your issue. It doesn't need to include your trading logic provided it produces the "freezing" with an optimization.

Got it.

How can I get this code?

FYI: I've just installed a new Windows 10 1809 version, all Windows Update completed and tried to optimize. And I've got the same behavior.As soon as I clicked "start" the memory consuption by MT5 terminal get almost 70% loaded ( I have 8GB DDR4) until I've got the blue screen and "memory Management" error.

Eklon Eleuterio:

Got it.

How can I get this code?

FYI: I've just installed a new Windows 10 1809 version, all Windows Update completed and tried to optimize. And I've got the same behavior.As soon as I clicked "start" the memory consuption by MT5 terminal get almost 70% loaded ( I have 8GB DDR4) until I've got the blue screen and "memory Management" error.

BTW, there is no error while testing memory with Windows Memory Diagnostics tool

Eklon Eleuterio:

Got it.

How can I get this code?

Aren't you the coder of your EA(s) ?

Eklon Eleuterio: As soon as I clicked "start" the memory consuption by MT5 terminal get almost 70% loaded
  1. Try reducing Tools → Options (control-O) → Charts → Max bars in chart to something reasonable (like 1K.)
  2. Try reducing your optimization period to a smaller length.
  3. More RAM

Alain Verleyen:

Aren't you the coder of your EA(s) ?

Yes, I'm the coder. But I don't believe in some issue with the Ea or strategy. It is a pretty simple EA who uses Moving Averages. there is no tons os code lines.

I guess that it could be a MT5 bug or Windows bug.

Hardware failure? I'm not sure. today I'll run some optimization in the same machine using Ubuntu 18.04 and watch it.

Reason: