Be allerted to the Changes in your MT4 from the 15.April on - page 3

cja - you made a very good point with your words, I agree

so - just in case - how would YOU prevent your MT4 on comming monday for being changed against your ideal idea?

Updating MT4

MaaTini:
cja - you made a very good point with your words, I agree so - just in case - how would YOU prevent your MT4 on comming monday for being changed against your ideal idea?

As far as I am aware on my computer MetaQuotes cannot update my MT4 unless I click YES on the user account control window that pops up when updates are avaliable ( Windows 7 or Vista and Kaspersky security ) so I can try updating a Demo account then check and see if anything has changed by running a few different programs using dlls. At the end of the day if things do get changed at some point the earlier MT4 programs will stop working as has happened in the past with major updates. Try opening a very old MT4 program that has not been updated for a few years, it will not even access the updates or run things have changed that much. So I guess ultimately there is little that can be done long term if MetaQuotes decides to do something drastic.

philt:
I can't understand blocking 3rd party developers as Metaquotes execution interface is so farbehind these guys it's not even funny.

Totally agree. Remember the revenue MetaQuotes generates comes from brokers. And since clientele (the traders) demand MT4 from a broker, the broker rents the package from MetaQuotes.

Now, part of the business model for the broker is to (1) recover this rental fee and (2) get the trader to trade as much as possible.

Brokers quickly realized the order execution on MT4 is quite cumbersome and stems from the time we all send mail by using postal doves (;)), they launched their own order execution tools based to serve their clients better.

The manner MetaQuotes runs its software business is very protective and old-fashioned. Compare this to how Windows won the war from Apple for getting PCs into people's homes in the 80s/90s... If you don't allow anyone to build add-ons onto your software, it's bound to die a silent death soon. Imagine a smart phone without third party apps...

I think MetaQuotes is slowly trying to move their clientele (the brokers) to 'force adopt' MT5 and slowly phase out MT4 without losing a bunch of revenue. I think this plan is bound to fail. Future will tell us soon I guess.

Cheers, Snow

MaaTini:
well - does it not mean, that all so far developed and distributed indicators and EA´s are so far "illegal" or violationg the terms of use?

I read the same, and from what I understand, most DLLs which are used for facilitating calculations for indicators and EAs do not violate these terms. But there's only one way to find out what the intentions of MetaQuotes really hold: test the indicators and EAs which use DLLs on the new terminal build versions. So we'll have to wait and see.

philt:
The only way as I can see that they can stop you using whatever they are disabling is to issue a new build but you"ll still be able to use the recent one with live update blocked.
cja:
As far as I am aware on my computer MetaQuotes cannot update my MT4 unless I click YES on the user account control window that pops up when updates are avaliable ( Windows 7 or Vista and Kaspersky security ) so I can try updating a Demo account then check and see if anything has changed by running a few different programs using dlls. At the end of the day if things do get changed at some point the earlier MT4 programs will stop working as has happened in the past with major updates. Try opening a very old MT4 program that has not been updated for a few years, it will not even access the updates or run things have changed that much. So I guess ultimately there is little that can be done long term if MetaQuotes decides to do something drastic.

Unfortunately, this not quite true and blocking LiveUpdate might only be a temporary solution.

MetaQuotes have the ability to 'disable' older builds remotely. For example, they did this a few months ago for MT4: any build below 418 (if my memory serves me correctly) was disabled and thus everyone was 'forced' to upgrade to a newer build version.

For example, I loaded a MT4 terminal.exe build 228 and started MT4. See screenshot below for result. The terminal simply won't connect to the broker.

However, since I am not familiar with MT5, I don't know if the same holds true for MT5 as well (although it seems logical MetaQuotes can force upgrade everyone on MT5 as well).

Cheers, Snow

Files:

I can't understand blocking 3rd party developers as Metaquotes execution interface is so far behind these guys it's not even funny.

Snowski:
I read the same, and from what I understand, most DLLs which are used for facilitating calculations for indicators and EAs do not violate these terms. But there's only one way to find out what the intentions of MetaQuotes really hold: test the indicators and EAs which use DLLs on the new terminal build versions. So we'll have to wait and see.

Unfortunately, this not quite true and blocking LiveUpdate might only be a temporary solution.

MetaQuotes have the ability to 'disable' older builds remotely. For example, they did this a few months ago for MT4: any build below 418 (if my memory serves me correctly) was disabled and thus everyone was 'forced' to upgrade to a newer build version.

For example, I loaded a MT4 terminal.exe build 228 and started MT4. See screenshot below for result. The terminal simply won't connect to the broker.

However, since I am not familiar with MT5, I don't know if the same holds true for MT5 as well (although it seems logical MetaQuotes can force upgrade everyone on MT5 as well).

Cheers, Snow

The blocked us then and they will block us anytime when they find something profitable for them (and brokers) and when they decide that it should be forced to users. Compared to professional trading platforms (take a 100 year tradestation and it will still work) metatrader is a toy

a "Member" in Forexfactory has just posted following:

...Brokers have modified the setup.exe file which you download on the broker website ( Download your Mt4 here ).

That is not allowed.

Has nothing to do with EAs which use dll´s . They will run as they did before.

If somebody disagrees, let us know.....

here is the profile of this Member on FF

fxtr51's Profile @ Forex Factory

10+ Vouchers seems quite "established" in FF

so maybe all this discussions are just a bit of "hot smoke" for non brokers :-)

..and maybe it will disadvance all broker´s self installed "hacks" in your MT4 Platform ?

we will see ...

MaaTini:

...Brokers have modified the setup.exe file which you download on the broker website ( Download your Mt4 here ).

That is not allowed.

Why is that not allowed? Because metaquotes is trying to force each an every broker to spread the signals they (metaquotes) are selling? And they do it by forcing us (users) to upgrade to some meaningless "upgrades". Sorry, but that is simply just one way of looking at things : metaquotes point of view and, as usual, they could not care less for users

See how "new" terminal is detecting your IP and ask yourself what else is it trasfering to metaquotes and why

philt:
You can access the live update folder in C: appdata. Even for mt5 Just change the privileges to deny all and it won't update. The only way as I can see that they can stop you using whatever they are disabling is to issue a new build but you"ll still be able to use the recent one with live update blocked.

I can´t find C:appdata on my disk. What do you mean with access it? Can you please explain that for computer-idiots like me?

I renamed liveupdate and moved it to another folder. seems to work. I have to go to bed now, hope it still works next morning.

I closed 1 mt4 account on friday. If this shit doesn´t work I´ll close the remaining 2 during the week and these *******s will never see me again. f++k metaquotes!!!

marley60:
I can´t find C:appdata on my disk. What do you mean with access it? Can you please explain that for computer-idiots like me?

I renamed liveupdate and moved it to another folder. seems to work. I have to go to bed now, hope it still works next morning.

I closed 1 mt4 account on friday. If this shit doesn´t work I´ll close the remaining 2 during the week and these *******s will never see me again. f++k metaquotes!!!

It's hide by default, go to folder properties and check show all hidden folders.

Reason: