Follow The Bouncing Pip - page 107

So to clarify, enter on stop orders...this way you don't miss a thing.

This is a valid way to use tops and bottoms for entry...unless you are still way too early...and the market decides that. but this is a valid example to put the entry on your side with a buffer zone, without having to endure stopping and re-entering...but the lagged entry still costs dollars on the TP side...but just one time

ZIG ZAG inherintly measure "legs"..I wonder if the position in the longer term TF might be something to look at...is it in the upper or lower half of the candle....where is it located in the "range" of things...

Thinking abstractly to stimilate a plan

ES

static:
I know you guys are still working on the EA logic, and I hate to be one of those guys that throws out "suggestions" all the time, but I think I will do it anyway.

Have you experimented with limit orders as opposed to market orders? I.e., putting a short order 40/50 pips below current price wherever a sell signal occurs? As long as this interval is smaller than the default SL it seems like it might save some pips from false entries in the long run.

Keep up the great work, I look forward to seeing what you can put together.

This is a valid way to use tops and bottoms for entry...unless you are still way too early...and the market decides that. but this is a valid example to put the entry on your side with a buffer zone, without having to endure stopping and re-entering...but the lagged entry still costs dollars on the TP side...but just one time

What you are trying to achieve I'm doing with stochastic and Heiken candles already. 50,3,3 stochastic show overbought/sold conditions just like zigzag does and HA shows entry with stoch cross in agreement. For that you don't need zig zag at all and is similar but still much different than original Bear's rules.

Have you guys ever wondered if there was never going to be an answer to beating this markets? Maybe this is God's little experiment to see how we work together trying to analyze and make sense of pure unadulterated chaos. Reminds me of an episode of the "Twilight Zone" where the humans were under a glass cover like an ant farm being viewed by bigger humans.

Just thought this can help you guys out......

Don

P.S. ElectricSavant keeps on reminding himself of the painful unleashing of half a C-note, but on the other hand makes insinuations that he is wealthy. I sincerely want to know what drugs you are on and is there long-term side effects?

Don...are you bored?

ES

steinitz:
Have you guys ever wondered if there was never going to be an answer to beating this markets? Maybe this is God's little experiment to see how we work together trying to analyze and make sense of pure unadulterated chaos. Reminds me of an episode of the "Twilight Zone" where the humans were under a glass cover like an ant farm being viewed by bigger humans.

Just thought this can help you guys out......

Don

P.S. ElectricSavant keeps on reminding himself of the painful unleashing of half a C-note, but on the other hand makes insinuations that he is wealthy. I sincerely want to know what drugs you are on and is there long-term side effects?

I posted this a few posts back

> There is still something not right with the EA. It clearly misses some trades

> that appear to meet the rules. I printed out the values of the zigzag

> indicators and there are times since Sept 7 when a trade should have

> been placed. I will be working on this problem next.

This is not a bug. The nonlagdot indicator on the chart had a length value of 10. The EA used a length value of 20.

Using a length value of 10 had greater profit during the test period but also had much larger drawdown. With WaitSignal 3 profit was about 43K on 10K account but drawdown was 52%. A setting of 10 does not filter as many of the false signals from the zigzag based indicators.

Using length of 20 shows profit of 32K and drawdown of 18%.

Robert

ElectricSavant:

...mathematics is a wonderful profession...

Mr. Pip, I will challenge you to discover a mathematical way to cover the spectrum of trending verses chop...You will never be able to "can it" and optimize both conditions in the same EA...prove me wrong...

Are you aware that I was a mathematical analyst before becoming a programmer?

I am currently working on an idea for trading the 30 minute chart.

I am not going to give away the details but here is the general idea.

When the filter I use to determine chop says chop I would trade something like Bollinger Bands with gimme bars or CCI Zero Line Reject or bounce between +100 and -100.

When price bounces off top go short, off bottom go long.

When the filter says no chop I would trade with the trend, maybe using Bollinger Bands or CCI for that as well.

When price hits top go long, when price hits bottom go short. For CCI trade the zero line cross.

I developed an ea for another thread that has had only 1 loss in 23 trades since Mar 1, 2007. The EA runs on the 30 minute GBPUSD with chop filter and session time filter.

Robert

Yes I was faintly aware of your mathematical background..I read a post of yours somewhere...

As far as the challenge...it stands

You will not be able to catch all of the conditions the markets presents over the last 10 years. You cannot "can" trending and ranging and cover the cycles that the last 10 years have presented. Just trust me...you cannot. But I would be delighted if you would take it on and prove me wrong...This is not an idle challenge...it is serious...but I do not have any prize money to offer...this is for the pure academics of it...

ES

MrPip:
Are you aware that I was a mathematical analyst before becoming a programmer?

I am currently working on an idea for trading the 30 minute chart.

I am not going to give away the details but here is the general idea.

When the filter I use to determine chop says chop I would trade something like Bollinger Bands with gimme bars or CCI Zero Line Reject or bounce between +100 and -100.

When price bounces off top go short, off bottom go long.

When the filter says no chop I would trade with the trend, maybe using Bollinger Bands or CCI for that as well.

When price hits top go long, when price hits bottom go short. For CCI trade the zero line cross.

I developed an ea for another thread that has had only 1 loss in 23 trades since Mar 1, 2007. The EA runs on the 30 minute GBPUSD with chop filter and session time filter.

Robert

10%?

MrPip:
I added AutoLot to the EA and ran with the settings that produced the best results with profit at $16K. With MM the profit is now over $60K with 10% Account Balance per trade. Drawdown is higher but has more to do with trading 10% instead of 1 lot. Account size is $25K. Running with $10K account shows profit of $27125.

When you use "MM" - does that mean you are using the money management function I wrote?

If so, 10% is seriously risking your account. It sounds like spectacular results, but these rules are designed to risk at maximum 3% - 1.5 to 2% are for the average joe. If you are conservative, .5 to 1%. This MM is designed to keep you in the game. It uses an Anti-Martingale strategy - as you profit more, you bet more, and vice versa. At 10%, a big move against you could cripple your account. Using this method, even with 2%, you could sustain 25 losses in a row and still have 1/2 your account left.

It is also better to get results for a longer trading set - a minimum of 100 trades. I would be interested to see the results using the 3 (1 lot, autolot, MM) over a period of 1 year, with the optimized settings you have gathered so far.

If people are interested, I do have a buy and sell script written that allows you to drag them onto the chart you are trading, and it will offer to place the buy/sell order with your preset stoploss and percent risk.

Thanks,

burn0050

ZigZag Validity Indicator

I had some spare time this weekend so I tried to port the ZigZag Validity indicator from MetaStock to MT4. I still have some problems with it since I'm not familiar with the MetaStock functions. The posted version of the indicator still needs some work. Maybe someone here can help me out ( I included all my notes in the code ).

I also found the following ZigZag indicator which might be of some more use.

In fact the Validity indicator might not be needed.

I'll also try to port the ZigZag Trend indicator from MetaStock and I'll code the idea presented by igor:

post #1053

Anyway, here they are.

Files:

Replies in red.

I also ran the backtest using 5% trade size so that the average risk is less than 3%. The starting balance was $10,000.

The results are profit 8751, drawdown 7%. The number of trades remain the same. Also the win rate is 41% wins. Largest win 2589 on 0.5 lots($500), largest loss 510 on 0.4 lots, average win 1219, average loss 170.

Robert

burn0050:
When you use "MM" - does that mean you are using the money management function I wrote?

Yes.

If so, 10% is seriously risking your account. It sounds like spectacular results, but these rules are designed to risk at maximum 3% - 1.5 to 2% are for the average joe. If you are conservative, .5 to 1%. This MM is designed to keep you in the game. It uses an Anti-Martingale strategy - as you profit more, you bet more, and vice versa. At 10%, a big move against you could cripple your account. Using this method, even with 2%, you could sustain 25 losses in a row and still have 1/2 your account left.

Actual risk is not 10% unless the stoploss is 100. If the average stoploss is 50 then the risk is 5%. The trade size is 10% and you are willing to lose half of that with an average 50 pip stop loss.

It is also better to get results for a longer trading set - a minimum of 100 trades. I would be interested to see the results using the 3 (1 lot, autolot, MM) over a period of 1 year, with the optimized settings you have gathered so far.

I would also like that but do not have the data to backtest that far. The reason for the lower number of trades is the filtering of the false signals.

If people are interested, I do have a buy and sell script written that allows you to drag them onto the chart you are trading, and it will offer to place the buy/sell order with your preset stoploss and percent risk.

Thanks,

burn0050
Reason: