If my goal is 20% growth per month, should I ?

• 28% (9)
  • 41% (13)
  • 31% (10)
Total voters: 32

(stop trading once I make 5% in a week and start again the next week)Is the smartest choice

Mohammad Soubra:
(stop trading once I make 5% in a week and start again the next week)Is the smartest choice

Yes.., but you might miss some good moves in the rest of the week, which might have had helped in achieving the monthly target.

‌‌Anyhow, I wonder what people with "other" votes are thinking 

How about continuing trading with reduced risk once you hit your 5% ..

that way you still make money of some of the good moves , and generate a bit more surplus to start the next week in order to achieve your 20% quicker ..

latet.g:

How about continuing trading with reduced risk once you hit your 5% ..

that way you still make money of some of the good moves , and generate a bit more surplus to start the next week in order to achieve your 20% quicker ..

Now that's really a good idea.

If the market was depending just upon your monthly target, you would have been in other place now.

Sorry, but the question is nonesense. The market is not there to comply with your targets, don't push it above or below, just learn to take what it's willing to give. The market is not your employee.

If your assumption about the market was correct, a decent answer to your question could have been also: then rasise your target, take more. If you got more, take more, if you got less take less.
Forget your targets, because sooner or later your targets will be beaten by the market.

Sorry, but it's experience + simple logic, you can as amusement play with those assumptions and polls but it's not related to reality.

* the bottom line of my point - change your views about the markets, sooner is better. It is not there to pay your monthly checks.

** same question with passimistic spirit: what if on first week you lost 5 percent? Now, what? target for 26 pct in the remaining 3 weeks?

Amir Yacoby:
If the market was depending just upon your monthly target, you would have been in other place now.

First of all, I never said market is depending on my monthly target. 

Amir Yacoby:

Sorry, but the question is nonesense. The market is not there to comply with your targets, don't push it above or below, just learn to take what it's willing to give. The market is not your employee.

I know it is not there to comply with my (or if fact any other trader's) targets but we still a goal, an average in our minds that we are targeting. Likewise, we all use a t/p level, which is a form of target level.

Shehbaz Nawaz:

First of all, I never said market is depending on my monthly target. 

I know it is not there to comply with my (or if fact any other trader's) targets but we still a goal, an average in our minds that we are targeting. Likewise, we all use a t/p level, which is a form of target level.
TP level is set with the price action on the graph, it is not forced on the market according to how much money you want to earn. This would be bad idea. Again, what if in first two weeks you lost 10 pct, 5 pct each week. What will be your target to the end of the month? You see that you can not force targets on the market

Amir Yacoby:
This would be bad idea. Again, what if in first two weeks you lost 10 pct, 5 pct each week. What will be your target to the end of the month? You see that you can not force targets on the market

That is an interesting question. 

Yes in that case I definitely will target more in the coming weeks so that it hits my final monthly target.

Shehbaz Nawaz:

That is an interesting question. 

Yes in that case I definitely will target more in the coming weeks so that it hits my final monthly target.

So it means you are practicing a kind of martingale mm which is exactly my point that your way of thinking is not healthy

Amir Yacoby:
Sorry, but the question is non sense. The market is not there to comply with your targets, don't push it above or below, just learn to take what it's willing to give. The market is not your employee.

If your assumption about the market was correct, a decent answer to your question could have been also: then rasise your target, take more. If you got more, take more, if you got less take less.

This.‌

Anyone that doesn't understand this should really study Statistics and Probabilities.‌ (Or at least hear it from the mouth of successful institutional traders.)‌

Reason: