Indicator on Indicator

Hello,

Is there an easy way to find the indicator of an indicator.  For instance, I'd like to take a simple moving average of the RSI and display that in it's own indicator.

Can something like that be done easily?

Any example code would be most helpful.

Thank you! 

That can already be done in MetaTrader without coding an extra Indicator.

Just add the RSI to a chart, then add a Moving Average to the RSI's sub-window and in the "Apply to:" field, choose "Previous Indicator's data" or "First Indicator's data" depending on how much layering you do.

FMIC:

That can already be done in MetaTrader without coding an extra Indicator.

Just add the RSI to a chart, then add a Moving Average to the RSI's sub-window and in the "Apply to:" field, choose "Previous Indicator's data" or "First Indicator's data" depending on how much layering you do.

Hi FMIC,

I meant to say I wanted this done in a custom indicator.  I would like to take the MA of the RSI and use it for further calculations.  Is there a simple way to do this?

Thank you for your quick response. 

bplturner: I meant to say I wanted this done in a custom indicator.  I would like to take the MA of the RSI and use it for further calculations.  Is there a simple way to do this?

Use both the MetaQuotes example indicators, namely "RSI.mq4" and "Moving Averages.mq4" and combine them.  Apply the moving average principles, as demonstrated in the example, to the data generated in RSI example and store that in secondary buffers allowing you show both the RSI and the moving average on it.

However, this is a trivial matter for anyone who already knows how to properly code an indicator in the first place. So I have to assume, that if you are asking this, then it means that your root problem, is that you don't know how to properly code any type of indicator at all and for that I suggest that you follow the online Book Tutorial; read-up on the documentation; have a look at the example indicator code that MetaQuotes has provided both in your MQL4 setup folder as well as at the TA section here on the site.

Reason: