Download MetaTrader 5
To add comments, please log in or register
Deposit to your account via PayPal
mikejody
mikejody 2016.01.29 19:05 

Greetings,

I have a high resolution screen, and it does not display MT4 properly. I am using Version 4.0 Build 950. 

Specifically the text in the indicator window is overlapping and so is unreadable.

What can I do to fix this problem? 

honest_knave
honest_knave 2016.01.29 19:56  

Do you mean text being drawn by an indicator? A screenshot will help.

Metaquotes are supposed to have fixed the high resolution issue in the later builds. If it is a problem with the terminal, explore the manifest file workaround (a search will throw it up).

More likely, it is the text being drawn by a custom indicator. What typically happens is

1. People change their computer's system settings to make things easier to read on high resolution screens.

2. Many coders write their indicators presuming everyone has the standard system setting.

3. The combination of 1 and 2 results in what you describe i.e. overlapping text. 

mikejody
mikejody 2016.01.29 20:15  
honest_knave:

Do you mean text being drawn by an indicator? A screenshot will help.

Metaquotes are supposed to have fixed the high resolution issue in the later builds. If it is a problem with the terminal, explore the manifest file workaround (a search will throw it up).

More likely, it is the text being drawn by a custom indicator. What typically happens is

1. People change their computer's system settings to make things easier to read on high resolution screens.

2. Many coders write their indicators presuming everyone has the standard system setting.

3. The combination of 1 and 2 results in what you describe i.e. overlapping text. 

The problem is in the second window down, I'm assuming that is an "indicator window." The text is just text, like I am writing here, and it describes various things happening with the indicator. All the text is scrunched down and overlapping. This happens on each and every indicator window that has text, regardless of who made it. I've tried over 10 of these indicators that use text and not one of them displays properly. 

I tried the "manifest file workaround" but could not save the manifest file as it said I did not have permission to do so. This is a home computer and I am the administrator, so I don't understand that at all.

I wish I could post a screenshot here, but it seems that I have to save the screenshot, so I save it in Word which makes it too large to post here. If I could show you the screenshot you would immediately see that the text in the indicator is unreadable.  

honest_knave
honest_knave 2016.01.29 20:23  

I'm almost certain it is the indicator not coded for your system settings.

You can save a screenshot of your chart from inside Metatrader:

Then you can upload the picture to here:

mikejody
mikejody 2016.01.29 20:36  

Ah, got it. OK here is the screenshot. And if you'd like to see any of 10 different indicators, most made by different developers, let me know and I'll post them. Here is this one:

honest_knave
honest_knave 2016.01.29 20:42  

Yep, definitely a problem with the custom indicators (not the terminal).

Your options are:

1. If available in the indicator settings, reduce the font size

2. Recode the indicators

3. Change your system settings back to 100% (depending on your operating system). This may make everything on your computer difficult to read (you probably increased that setting for a reason!)

4. Reduce your screen resolution (unfortunately makes it rather pointless having a high res screen)

Don't worry about the manifest file - that won't fix your problem. 

mikejody
mikejody 2016.01.29 20:44  
Here is another indicator:
mikejody
mikejody 2016.01.29 20:46  
honest_knave:

Yep, definitely a problem with the custom indicators (not the terminal).

Your options are:

1. If available in the indicator settings, reduce the font size

2. Recode the indicators

3. Change your system settings back to 100% (depending on your operating system). This may make everything on your computer difficult to read (you probably increased that setting for a reason!)

4. Reduce your screen resolution (unfortunately makes it rather pointless having a high res screen)

Don't worry about the manifest file - that won't fix your problem. 

So all of the developers of these custom indicators made them to not work with high DPI? I can show you 10 indicators that don't display properly (I've shown 2) and all made by different developers, but they are all the problem, not the terminal?
honest_knave
honest_knave 2016.01.29 20:49  

Yes, it is currently rare for people to bother to code for this.

As high res screens becomes more prevalent, I'm sure we'll see a change in coder's attitudes towards this.

Remember that many indicators have been around for a long time (or at least the original code has), from back in a time when this was never an issue. 

If they are commercially purchased indicators, I'd recommend asking the vendor to fix it.

If they are freebies, you can try your luck with the author if you can find them. 

mikejody
mikejody 2016.01.29 20:53  
OK thank you.
/
To add comments, please log in or register