Download MetaTrader 5

Latest Information About Decompiling .EX4 Files Please!

To add comments, please log in or register
Rockster MQL4
Rockster MQL4  

My understanding was that MT4 Build 600+ EX4 files could not be decompiled.

New online research shows a couple of programs that state that any EX4 file can

be converted into a MQ4 file, exposing the code.

Can EX4 files be decompiled?

Thanks for any replies.

JD4
JD4  
It is possible, I am sure, but there is also ways to decompile regular .exe programs as well.  The question is is it kosher.
Jon Grah
Jon Grah  
RocksterMQL4:

My understanding was that MT4 Build 600+ EX4 files could not be decompiled.

New online research shows a couple of programs that state that any EX4 file can

be converted into a MQ4 file, exposing the code.

Can EX4 files be decompiled?

Thanks for any replies.

Can you please point to this 'new online research' you speak of?
ydrol
ydrol  
You can google it , I doubt references on this forum would be appreciated! Theoretically it's far from impossible anyway. As long as the Client has to run the programs, and users have access to the client, there will be a way.
honest_knave
honest_knave  

As with most things, I suspect it is a matter of inclination rather than possibility.

Now that it is significantly harder to decompile, people need more motivation to spend time and resources on decompiling something that may well turn out to be junk anyway.

IIRC, stuff on the marketplace is supposed to have an additional level of security against decompilation.

ydrol
ydrol  
honest_knave:

As with most things, I suspect it is a matter of inclination rather than possibility.

Now that it is significantly harder to decompile, people need more motivation to spend time and resources on decompiling something that may well turn out to be junk anyway.

As ever, with this kind of security, the elephant in the room is, it only ever takes one or two people to dedicate their time  , then they put a nice easy to use GUI around their 'cracking' effort with a big button that says [Click Me], and make it widely available thanks to the internet.

Of course it probably also installs a trojan at the same time , because they are  untrustworthy anyway, and as any conman knows, the best 'marks' are usually people that want something for nothing (eg. people that would want a decompiler in the first place).

Rockster MQL4
Rockster MQL4  

Thank you all for posting comments.

Customer indicators and EA's are proprietary and the developer/distributor is the sole owner. Intentionally breaking into the code for distribution purposes is a violation of international copyright law.

So what? The chances of prosecution are zero. Thus, that's whey people do it. Unfortunately, there will always be a small percent of people that will try and break into the code.

<Link Removed>

Another was located on <Link Removed>. Are they legitimate? Who knows.

One possible workaround to this problem might be to have a DLL file located on a server and the indicator or EA call from the server. The end user would

not have all of the code, just enough to get the indicator or EA to work properly. I will be posting a message about this option, which seems

to be the only way to keep the working code out of the hands of thieves.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

ydrol
ydrol  

Lol - luckily for your the forum Mod is not currently around! MQ would just love you posting those links on a forum they run!

If you we asking how to 100% protect your EA. that's a different question, you know the answer. It is 'signals'. But that needs infrastructure.. 

Ex Ovo Omnia
Ex Ovo Omnia  

Could anybody send them some fresh ex4 file and ask for a sample preview of the decompiled code?I am just curious, but I bet 1:10 that they wouldn't reply with code sample.

honest_knave
honest_knave  
Ovo:

Could anybody send them some fresh ex4 file and ask for a sample preview of the decompiled code?I am just curious, but I bet 1:10 that they wouldn't reply with code sample.

I think you're right. I took a look at one of the links and it looked like a scam ($250 for the "software")
whroeder1
whroeder1  
RocksterMQL4: ..located at <Removed>
Please post links, not text 
honest_knave: I think you're right. I took a look at one of the links and it looked like a scam ($250 for the "software")
Write a simple indicator and give it to them, and say if you can decompile that, I will by your software. Watch how quickly they run.
To add comments, please log in or register