Download MetaTrader 5

Posting to "Service Desk"

To add comments, please log in or register
traderathome
traderathome  

Previous to MT4 Build 600 the establishment of the hierarchical order of lines and labels on a chart, drawn by different indicators and regardless of the order of the indicators as listed in the chart list of indicators, was a splendidly simple and exacting task. All it took was the addition of an alphabetical letter as a prefix to the name of the line or label. For example, prefixing a name with "a" assured it would be below anything with a prefix of "m", which would be below anything with a prefix of "z". It did not matter what indys created the lines/labels, nor in what order those indys appeared on the chart list of indicators. It did not matter in what sequence the drawing indicator drew any specific line/label relative to the others it drew. All that was needed to assure the intended hierarchical placement on a chart was the simple and effective use of an alphabetical prefix being added to the name assigned to the line or label!

But no more! The new Build 600 trashed this simple and exacting method to establish the hierarchical order in which lines/labels are placed on a chart. So, the question is, if we are given an improved product, then what is the equally simple and exacting new coding method to accomplish this objective?

There does not seem to be a solution. This is an incredible oversight on the part of MetaQuotes, just like not having an assigned variable holding a value (0-5) representing the Chart Scale was an incredible oversight in the original MT4 MQL4. Is this company habitually prone to such oversights?

Look, MetaQuotes came out with _z_order to prioritize for another purpose. How hard can it be for them to add to MQL4/5 a simple object property that receives the coders input to prioritize the level on the chart that the draw creation is given, so across all chart indys, regardless of their order on the chart list of indys, lines and labels can be assigned values that will force them to be created at levels according to the coders hierarchical intent.

Call it OBJ_DRAW_LEVEL, to be followed with any integer number (0-99 should be far more than sufficient, but whatever it is not so difficult to do) that will determine the exact level of the draw, totally independent of draw sequence within an indicator and totally independent of indicator sequence on the chart list of indicators. Essentially, a chart is mapped with a certain number of levels for draws, and draws are made at the assigned levels they are given via this object property, regardless of all other considerations.

There. I have just done the hard part for MetaQuotes by thinking it out for them. Let's see if they are competent to complete the job! They should be, if only for a moment they would stop focusing on quantity and consider quality, like esthetics.

How about it, MetaQuotes? Are you up to adding this feature to MQL4/5. Do you really care? Or are you preoccupied with your "Store"?

What has this got to do with the subject "Posting to "Service Desk""? I'll tell you. You see, RaptorUK saw this text when I posted it as ....

Establishing the Hierarchical Order of Chart Draws of Lines and Labels

....and RaptorUK replied "If you really want to make a suggestion you would be best doing it via the Service Desk"

My repy to RaptorUK was....

Fine, I will be most happy to. When I go to Service Desk, there is no panel that opens to allow me to enter a new topic nor to reply to anything already posted. I also "searched" this url for instructions on how to post to the Service Desk and received nothing for my effort! It appears to be a forum closed to the riffraff and only "privileged" folks are permitted to spout off there!

So, RaptorUK, since you seem to be one of the "privileged" why don't you just copy/paste the essence of my reply that is here onto the Service Desk for me. Either that, or why not be helpful in a different way and simply explain just how someone new is to gain access to post on the Service Desk!

RaptorUK, you made a suggestion which you knew would be a blind alley for me. Thank you so much for your "help".

....and then I got the idea to just post everything under a new subject title that included "Service Desk". My intent is to get MetaQuotes to add back a fine feature they removed from MQL4, not to offend anyone. However, I simply go get pissed of when folks that are presumably smart and presumably helping others, really do a crappy job of it! Hence....

Posting to "Service Desk"

So, now my hopes are that MetaQuotes will reinstate to MQ4/5 a marvelous feature they should never have removed from MQL4, and that someone will post complete instructions on how to have posting access to the so-called "Service Desk", though what is really needed here is a suggestion box directly into MetaQuotes!

Simon Gniadkowski
Simon Gniadkowski  
traderathome:

....and RaptorUK replied "If you really want to make a suggestion you would be best doing it via the Service Desk"

Fine, I will be most happy to. When I go to Service Desk, there is no panel that opens to allow me to enter a new topic nor to reply to anything already posted. I also "searched" this url for instructions on how to post to the Service Desk and received nothing for my effort! It appears to be a forum closed to the riffraff and only "privileged" folks are permitted to spout off there!

So, RaptorUK, since you seem to be one of the "privileged" why don't you just copy/paste the essence of my reply that is here onto the Service Desk for me. Either that, or why not be helpful in a different way and simply explain just how someone new is to gain access to post on the Service Desk!

RaptorUK, you made a suggestion which you knew would be a blind alley for me. Thank you so much for your "help".

The link I posted is to a post that reads . . .

"Logon to the mql5 forum, if you don't have a user ID you will need to register. Once logged in go to your Profile, then on the left hand side of the page there is a link to the Service Desk."

. . . did you do this ? I can't give you a link directly to the Service Desk because you access it from your mql5 Forum profile, I don't know if you have a mql5 Forum user ID so I can't give you a link as it would need to be specific to your ID.

Ian Venner
Ian Venner  
traderathome:

You can leave the ranks of the riff raff behind and become one of the privileged folks too. If you join mql5.com you will be awarded a profile, access to the service desk will be in that profile.
traderathome
traderathome  
RaptorUK:

The link I posted is to a post that reads . . .

"Logon to the mql5 forum, if you don't have a user ID you will need to register. Once logged in go to your Profile, then on the left hand side of the page there is a link to the Service Desk."

. . . did you do this ? I can't give you a link directly to the Service Desk because you access it from your mql5 Forum profile, I don't know if you have a mql5 Forum user ID so I can't give you a link as it would need to be specific to your ID.

RaptorUK, thank you for now explaining this. I do not trade on MT5 and have no incentive to do so. I really don't care if my suggestion to add OBJ_DRAW_LEVEL is accomplished for MT5 (though I bet users would be greatly pleased if it were). MY only concern is that it is accomplished for MT4!

So, if you know of a "door" I can kick in and scream at the botchers at MetaQuotes, I'd sure love that. Meanwhile, perhaps the time I have already spent to pose this issue will bring fruit. If not, I suspect nothing will, because I doubt MetaQuotes is interested in anything but ironing out the botched up job they created with MQL5,....and of course their "STORE".

Simon Gniadkowski
Simon Gniadkowski  
traderathome:

RaptorUK, thank you for now explaining this. I do not trade on MT5 and have no incentive to do so. I really don't care if my suggestion to add OBJ_DRAW_LEVEL is accomplished for MT5 (though I bet users would be greatly pleased if it were). MY only concern is that it is accomplished for MT4!

So, if you know of a "door" I can kick in and scream at the botchers at MetaQuotes, I'd sure love that. Meanwhile, perhaps the time I have already spent to pose this issue will bring fruit. If not, I suspect nothing will, because I doubt MetaQuotes is interested in anything but ironing out the botched up job they created with MQL5,....and of course their "STORE".

I'm trying to help you, I've told you twice . . . use the Service Desk . . . its for MT4, mql4, MT5 and mql5 . . . not just for MT5. It just happens to be facilitated via the mql5 forum . . . I know it's not ideal, thats the way it is though.
whroeder1
whroeder1  
traderathome: So, if you know of a "door" I can kick in and scream at the botchers at MetaQuotes,
RaptorUK and SDK have both shown you the door, but they can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.
traderathome
traderathome  
WHRoeder:
RaptorUK and SDK have both shown you the door, but they can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.

RaptorUK and WHRoeder, I thank you very much for staying with this and encouraging me to join.

You see, there was no obvious posting of the fact that the MQL5 forum is also a MQL4 forum. How was I to know? At first glance, how is anyone to know? This is just another sign of how incompletely things are thought out beforehand, with all relating to MetaQuotes. I am not blaming either of you. It's just that it is a common failing throughout the MetaQuotes realm. I am not a skilled coder, though I do have my moments. I am a retired aerospace engineer. If the work done back in my day was as I see it being done with so many things relating to MetaQuotes, we would have missed the moon completely!

"Houston, Apollo. What page in the damn manual did you say to look at to find the Retrorocket Fire buttons sequence? Oh? Geez! Thanks for letting us up here now know that page was somehow omitted! So, what is the f...king buttons sequence?!" ....and off mic....."Guys, did any of you remember to bring a pencil and some paper?"

Ok, as you suggest, this is added to my "to do list". And I thank you again, sincerely.

Ian Venner
Ian Venner  

Aerospace engineers and their procedures are not infallible either. They do things like launching multi billion dollar manned space craft while knowing critical flaws in fuel tank o ring seals has not been fixed.

traderathome
traderathome  
SDC:

Aerospace engineers and their procedures are not infallible either. They do things like launching multi billion dollar manned space craft while knowing critical flaws in fuel tank o ring seals has not been fixed.

I fully agree with you, but because nobody is infallible. It is a question of how hard they try not to be. Sometimes arrogance and greed take precedence over dedication to being thoughtful and meticulous in helping others.
JD4
JD4  
traderathome:

MQL5 is the website, it is not required that you make use of MT5 (which is a separate entity altogether).  When you do searches on MQL4, more often than not (for me anyway, but I have a username on both) it opens up a list of choices from the MQL5 side.
whroeder1
whroeder1  
JD4: When you do searches on MQL4, more often than not it opens up a list of choices from the MQL5 side.
So switch to Google: site:mql4.com ...
To add comments, please log in or register