Download MetaTrader 5

ex4 to mq4

To add comments, please log in or register
No PC at hand? Communicate with friends using your mobile phone!
tvyork
tvyork 2013.08.22 23:18 
I have this scalping ea that is in ex4 format.It will not work on mt4 platform.Can the ea be converted to mq4,if so where.
Ubzen
Ubzen 2013.08.22 23:23  
Converting ex4 to mql4 leads to un-authorized de-compilation of someone else's codes. We do-not support such actions on this forum.
whroeder1
whroeder1 2013.08.23 00:29  
Decompiled code is stolen code. You are a thief and we will not be an accomplice to your theft.
szgy74
szgy74 2013.08.23 00:56  
WHRoeder:
Decompiled code is stolen code. You are a thief

except when not.
Simon Gniadkowski
Simon Gniadkowski 2013.08.23 06:39  
szgy74:

except when not.

When is that ?
Simon Gniadkowski
Simon Gniadkowski 2013.08.23 06:39  
etruscan:
I have this scalping ea that is in ex4 format.It will not work on mt4 platform.Can the ea be converted to mq4,if so where.
Why do you think you have a legitimate legal right to have access to the source code ?
szgy74
szgy74 2013.08.23 07:41  
RaptorUK:

When is that ?

A real-life example is when the author/seller disappears and the buyer is left alone with the useless code which needs only to be recompiled with new MT4.

Or similar case with completely free old codes on forums.

I don't support stealing too, but there is a special case when decompilation is useful: when this reveals that the so-called legal copyrighted product is stolen itself.

There are several cases of selling slightly altered or only renamed EAs, indicators found on forums for free. Unfortunately the forex "industry" is full of scams

which are easier to reveal with source - I can hardly protect these decompiled. People can say every decompilation is stealing - which is true, when looked strictly,

but in these cases in the end the seller is the thief, the code is the "tool" for robbery. Of course in this aspect every case is different.

A theoretical case may be when I want to decompile my own ex4 because I lost the source :-)

Simon Gniadkowski
Simon Gniadkowski 2013.08.23 10:38  
szgy74:

A real-life example is when the author/seller disappears and the buyer is left alone with the useless code which needs only to be recompiled with new MT4.

OK, I'll repeat what I have already said. If a customer buys an ex4 without buying the source code they have no legal right to the source code even if the developer "disappears" . . . unless they have some kind of escrow agreement to cover this kind of eventuality. Even if the developer is no longer supporting the product the customer has no rights to the source if they haven't paid for it . . . if they paid for the ex4 then that is what they have a legal right to use.

szgy74:

I don't support stealing too, but there is a special case when decompilation is useful: when this reveals that the so-called legal copyrighted product is stolen itself.

There are several cases of selling slightly altered or only renamed EAs, indicators found on forums for free. Unfortunately the forex "industry" is full of scams

which are easier to reveal with source - I can hardly protect these decompiled. People can say every decompilation is stealing - which is true, when looked strictly,

but in these cases in the end the seller is the thief, the code is the "tool" for robbery. Of course in this aspect every case is different.

These cases are very small, if you suspect you have purchased illegal goods ask for a refund or report it to the Police.

szgy74:

A theoretical case may be when I want to decompile my own ex4 because I lost the source :-)

Its always faster to write your code the second time around and it will probably be better written and you know more the second time than the first, re-writing it also encourages you to maintain better version control and backups.
szgy74
szgy74 2013.08.23 11:13  
RaptorUK:

OK, I'll repeat what I have already said. If a customer buys an ex4 without buying the source code they have no legal right to the source code even if the developer "disappears" . . . unless they have some kind of escrow agreement to cover this kind of eventuality. Even if the developer is no longer supporting the product the customer has no rights to the source if they haven't paid for it . . . if they paid for the ex4 then that is what they have a legal right to use.

I would buy a product, not an ex4. In this case how can I have my right to use the ex4? Have I been stolen, or not, and the author is OK happy living on my money when I cannot use what I bought?

RaptorUK: These cases are very small, if you suspect you have purchased illegal goods ask for a refund or report it to the Police.

So small there are tons of them on several websites discussed since the beginning of time, kind of undermining the whole forex programming business.

I wonder how did you not meet more of them.

RaptorUK:
Its always faster to write your code the second time around and it will probably be better written and you know more the second time than the first, re-writing it also encourages you to maintain better version control and backups.

That is true, still it is a case of not theft.

I just wanted to say there are several situations when the case is not so clear that ALL is theft.

Simon Gniadkowski
Simon Gniadkowski 2013.08.23 11:41  
szgy74:

I would buy a product, not an ex4. In this case how can I have my right to use the ex4? Have I been stolen, or not, and the author is OK happy living on my money when I cannot use what I bought?

So sue, go to the small claims court, take other legal action . . . decompiling the ex4 to gain access to the source code, which you do not have a legal right to, makes you no better than a common thief. You may have bought Windows 7, does that give you legal access to the Windows source code ? when you buy a car do you think you have a legal right to have access to the design drawings ? of course you don't.

When you buy a EA, Script or Indicator unless you specifically buy one that gives you the source code what you are buying is a license to the use compiled product, you are not buying the product itself, you buy a license.

szgy74:

So small there are tons of them on several websites discussed since the beginning of time, kind of undermining the whole forex programming business.

I wonder how did you not meet more of them.

As an absolute number there may be many, as a percentage of all EAs, Scripts and Indicators sold they are few. There is a correct way to deal with such issues, it is not steal the source code from the thief . . . stealing stolen property does not make it no longer stolen property. The person that has decompiled the compiled code is still not the legal owner of the code and has not been granted legal access to the code by the code author, so why do you think it is OK ?

szgy74:

That is true, still it is a case of not theft.

I just wanted to say there are several situations when the case is not so clear that ALL is theft.

I agree, this is not theft.

There are of course some, very rare, situations where decompilation is not illegitimate . . . but they are very few and far between, I doubt we will see such a case on on this forum. I keep an open mind though.

Frenchytrader
Frenchytrader 2014.04.10 10:57  

What about I'm the owner of the strategy and the other guy was the coder.

We were in a win-win relationship based on confidence.

He used to only send me the EX4 file so I tested demo, signaled bugs, adding features...

He said he will send the MQ4 at the end.

Now the EA was about to be finished... but not 100% completed and can't be profitable. (4 months of work... I can show 1000 of converstations - multiples sources)

I have no news of the guy... I'm thinking to convert MY EX4 to MQ4 because restarting from scratch it's such a same.

What about this case?

To add comments, please log in or register