Angle in degrees - page 2

You can NOT take the arctan(mph) only the arctan of a pure number. It matters when the two dimensions are different units. You can NOT use trigonometry except on a plane and that is the same units in each direction. It does not make any sense mathematically - you are wrong, period.

Think about, market move 60 pips in one hour. On a M1 chart that's 60 bars, call that 45 if you want. On the M60 chart that one bar straight up. Do you want to call that 90? The slope is the same in either case.

You've had multiple people, tell you the same thing. Stop arguing - you are wrong, period.

MrH:

30 miles for 1 hour = a right triangle with right sides 1and 30, and hypotenuse (30^2+1^2)^0.5 = 30.0166. The slope here would be from point (0,0) to point (1,30), so the slope is 30/1. Using the Angle = arctan(slope) formula, arctan (30)= 1.537475 (radians). Degrees=(radians*180)/pi, so the angle is 88 degrees. You could also use trigonometric rules in this triangle to find the angle. So the 30 miles/hour expressed in angle is 88°. Off course that doesn't make any sense to you and me, but mathematically it does, unless you disagree with trigonometry, but that's probably not the case. So what if miles is a measure of distance and hours is a measure of time, or pips is a measure of distance and bars is a measure of time, that's the point of slope: to compare 2 things. The neat thing about One to One scaling is that these measurements will have the same unit, 1 pixel. So you can use this rule. Now my question is, how do you measure pixels in MT4.

aspect ratio is 1680x1050, PnP monitor

So 30 mph = 88° ok, what about 48kph ? by your reasoning above I guess that would be a slope of 48/1 and arctan(48) so would equal 88.806° but that doesn't really make any sense because 30mph = 48 kph and 88° does not equal 88.806°

WHRoeder:

You've had multiple people, tell you the same thing. Stop arguing - you are wrong, period.

Come on WHRoeder, don't say 'period', where's the freedom of speech ?. Let MrH have his own opinion.

https://www.mql5.com/en/job/5032

onewithzachy:

Come on WHRoeder, don't say 'period', where's the freedom of speech ?. Let MrH have his own opinion.

https://www.mql5.com/en/job/5032

But MrH is wrong . . . full stop. Otherwise 80 deg == 80.8 deg and we both know that it doesn't.

The timeline we have on chart is not running every second

Every point on the timeline we have a new bar it is a new group of seconds not a new second

Basically we have to talk about separate periods of time maybe we have to say our chart is a diagram

RaptorUK:
But MrH is wrong . . . full stop. Otherwise 80 deg == 80.8 deg and we both know that it doesn't.

No it's not that.

If you study the works of WH Gann, one of his idea was to calculate angle, based on time price represent into another imaginary unit. In his time, it was 1 unit of price (and 1 unit of time) was represented as 1 inch of y (or 1 inch of x) on a paper - inch or half inch if I'm not mistaken.

So thinking out of the box we can calculate the angle of price movement by representing price/time unit to some virtual imaginary unit. Say 1 pip and 1 minute is represent by 1 whatever and 1 whatever.

However I disagree if price/time are converted into pixels. I tried that before, converting pixels to price/time and vice versa is not accurate in MT4 so I asked Service Desk for some converting function. And they grant it - for MT5 not MT4 :(. Rosh asked me about the functions in click here, it was ChartTimePriceToXY() and ChartXYToTimePrice() - click that.

Another problem with converting to pixel was when zoom occur, the degree will change.

So this price/time angle calculation does not have to have the same unit. By thinking out of the box, the best way is converting 1 unit price and 1 unit time into some imaginary unit, like 1 whatever and 1 whatever, and zooming won't change the degree at all.

I don't like discussing this, I already have this discussion in Service Desk - and my lack of explaining things in English does not help me at all.

onewithzachy: Come on WHRoeder, don't say 'period', where's the freedom of speech ?. Let MrH have his own opinion.
The Earth is not flat, period. Not a freedom of speech issue, not an opinion. Just wrong.

There are a few techniques in Advanced Math that are all about changing your co-ordinate system to simplify difficult equations or see data in a different light. Simple examples of this would be log graph paper.

if the units on the axes are equal, then why is the Scale fix One to One chart not a solution? Your standard unit would be 1 pixel. Because it's price & pips? Apples and oranges, right? :)

And if your answer is that zooming out changes the angle, then take a look at this: I drew a triangle on a Scale one to one chart and then I zoomed in. Would you not say that these 2 triangles ABC are similar? In other words, their corners have the same angles? Zooming in does not change the angle of the line, as it is not redrawn, it only changes your subjective point of view of it.

Step 1:

zoom in 1 time:

Zooming in will change the length of the segments expressed in pixels. So that's something to think about.

Thanks for all the posts to my question!!

whroeder1:
The Earth is not flat, period. Not a freedom of speech issue, not an opinion. Just wrong.
Files:
Reason: