Statistical Software / Or Scripts

Hi everyone,

I have been looking on the site but I can't find this.

Do you know what software / script (or any information/ guidelines would be helpful) I would use in order to run statistical test. I want to see the range a currency has with relation to time, day of week, and other stuff.

I want to test the BZ strategy (amongst a few others) but would like to see when some of these strategies might best be use - at what time and on which currencies.

Any advice welcome.

Also, what is the difference between a script and a EA which doesn't enter you in a trade - with relation to testing purposes.

Horizon

KevinHorizon:

Hi everyone,

I have been looking on the site but I can't find this.

Do you know what software / script (or any information/ guidelines would be helpful) I would use in order to run statistical test. I want to see the range a currency has with relation to time, day of week, and other stuff.

I want to test the BZ strategy (amongst a few others) but would like to see when some of these strategies might best be use - at what time and on which currencies.

Any advice welcome.

Also, what is the difference between a script and a EA which doesn't enter you in a trade - with relation to testing purposes.

Horizon

To test a strategy you can use the tester strategy tool, under view menu.

It simulate a EA running in the period you want.

An EA run his start() method every tick, the script run start() only once, when is launched

Sbrass,

I don't know how to write EAs.

I am not interested in testing a strategy right now as much as finding out trends in forex. Hence why I wanted to find a statistical software of something that could help me analyse the raw data.

Any ideas?

Horizon

Kevin,

actually all EAs are products based on confirmed statistics. you need a platform where you can easyl combine different indicators (with mouse) and this software backtests you. actually equity curve, win/loss ratio, recovery factor etc are statistical performance values. Unfortunetly mt4 require some code knowledge to make stastical tests. i can recommend you wealth-lab. There are many such software available on market, like NinjaTrader, NeuroShell. check different products out. Not all products are free.

You may take products like Excel or Mathlab but they are also comercial and you even dont have a link to data (open,close,high,low,time). You have to buy addon for such software or code yourself again.

Hope to have helped

fx1.net

fx1.net wrote >>

Kevin,

actually all EAs are products based on confirmed statistics. you need a platform where you can easyl combine different indicators (with mouse) and this software backtests you. actually equity curve, win/loss ratio, recovery factor etc are statistical performance values. Unfortunetly mt4 require some code knowledge to make stastical tests. i can recommend you wealth-lab. There are many such software available on market, like NinjaTrader, NeuroShell. check different products out. Not all products are free.

You may take products like Excel or Mathlab but they are also comercial and you even dont have a link to data (open,close,high,low,time). You have to buy addon for such software or code yourself again.

Hope to have helped

fx1.net

Fx1net,

Thanks for your help. This is the kind of thing I am after. I will look into it.

Horizon

Hi Horizon

With MetaTrader 4, you have many options. A demo account gives you good historical data.

- You can export price data to .csv files for use by other programs, e.g. Excel.

- If you can write C/C++ you will find it relatively easy to use the system tester in MetaTrader 4 to examine historical data. You can then manipulate is any way you want and write whatever data you want to output files to suit your purpose.

- Some use DDE. I know little about it, but I suspect it is more relevant for real-time work.

By the way, an EA (expert advisor) is just a progam that runs every tick, whereas a script runs once.

Cheers

Jellybean

Reason: