Yes I am a moron...please point me in the right direction

I want to do something very simple.

I want to attach an indicator that I can attach to a single window and examine the currency over multiple time frames. All I want it to do is comment on the currency window with an up green arrow if it is trending up or a red down arrow if it is heading down for any of 4 time periods based on the amount of bars I put in as an extern variable.

I don't want to use anyone elses. I want to learn to do this myself. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I suppose you could start by describing how to determine a trend over a specific number of bars (mathematically). Thanks for any help.

The right direction is to read the Documentation/Book in the links above, and find a similar indicator (from the Code Base link above or other forex forums) and modify it to do what you want.

If you want to do it yourself, you have to learn MQL4 and also how indicators are written. No short cuts that I'm aware of, sorry.

I've read the book. I think I can program it. I just can't picture the math behind discovering the trend. I don't want to oversimplify it and say "If point A is 50 points higher than point A - 50 bars, then it is an uptrend". Or is it that simple?
Reason: