Support Resistance Expert Advisor

All,

This is the 4th EA I have tried to code and the only one that makes an upward trend, it was developed on the 5min EURUSD time frame, as the EURUSD seemed to have the most characteristics that I was after.

The backtest is included below, as you can see it is only for 1-Jan to 1-Sept (Which is when I started with this basic EA). I have not run it after this date as I wanted a couple of months to backtest on after posting, mainly to avoid any curve fitting that may occur, hopefully get a real picture. There has been no forward testing done as I have one laptop that is also used for work purposes (and a bit of EA Development :).

Made a quick YouTube to try and answer any questions about how it works. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3IWhfUFBS70 . The usual applies with the attached file put it in \Program Files\MetaTrader 4\experts\ then run your backtest on metatrader.

Would greatly appreciate your comments.

Kind Regards.

Strategy Tester Report
_darryltysonV4.1.4
AlpariUK-Demo (Build 211)

Symbol EURUSD (Euro vs US Dollar)
Period 5 Minutes (M5) 2007.01.02 00:00 - 2007.08.31 22:55 (2007.01.01 - 2007.09.01)
Model Every tick (the most precise method based on all available least timeframes)
Parameters AutoConfigure=true; TakeProfit=25; StopLoss=50; HoursFromGMT=1; Lots=1; MaxLots=4; TrailingStop=50; TradeAtNight=true; TradeWithoutKnownTP=true; CloseTradesAtNight=false; BoxBuySignalPeriod=5;
Bars in test 50076 Ticks modelled 759380 Modelling quality 90.00%
Mismatched charts errors 0
Initial deposit 10000.00
Total net profit 11787.20 Gross profit 31692.90 Gross loss -19905.70
Profit factor 1.59 Expected payoff 113.34
Absolute drawdown 60.00 Maximal drawdown 3725.80 (24.83%) Relative drawdown 24.83% (3725.80)
Total trades 104 Short positions (won %) 52 (42.31%) Long positions (won %) 52 (53.85%)
Profit trades (% of total) 50 (48.08%) Loss trades (% of total) 54 (51.92%)
Largest profit trade 2078.00 loss trade -1000.00
Average profit trade 633.86 loss trade -368.62
Maximum consecutive wins (profit in money) 4 (1490.00) consecutive losses (loss in money) 4 (-1669.80)
Maximal consecutive profit (count of wins) 2638.00 (2) consecutive loss (count of losses) -1669.80 (4)
Average consecutive wins 2 consecutive losses 2

Files:

I tried using this EA but I get the following errors in the experts tab.

Warning NFPM!!!!
ArrayInitialize function internal error
incorrect start position 0 for ArrayCopy function

Can someone tell me what is wrong or what I can do to fix this?

Thanks

Hi Darryl,

I installed your EA and watched the YouTube clip... very interesting :-)
Can you offer any advice on setup for the EA?

Specifically;

1) what does "Auto setup" actually mean?
2) "BoxBuySignal Period"?

Also, when does the EA begin to look for previous support? Does it only look forward from the point of insertion into the chart?

So far no boxes drawn on the 5min chart, so keen to get some more info. It looks very promising -- I like anything that translates strong rules into graphics :-)

This EA works on the close of each bar (5min by default) this tends to filter out a bit of the market noise. You can change this e.g. to 1 minute buy adjusting the BoxBuySignal to 1.

The Autosetup automatically choose's the best paramaters for all the other variables that are not external, based on backtesting. Unfortunatally it only works for EURUSD and EURCHF as these are the only two I got around to backtesting on, and then only very quickly.

Also the on screen boxes were a late addition. If they do not turn I may have posted an older version. Please let me know.

D.

pipmaster:
I tried using this EA but I get the following errors in the experts tab.

Warning NFPM!!!!
ArrayInitialize function internal error
incorrect start position 0 for ArrayCopy function

Can someone tell me what is wrong or what I can do to fix this?

Thanks

Yep, dammit on the arraycopy, happens once every hour (about) when a lot of the counters get flushed, a bug that need fixing. NFPM (Non FarmPayroll Monthly) I try to avoid trading during this time. This has been removed from the version I am currently working on because daylight savings put it all out.

D.

Yes you are correct fiveshorts the boxes are missing try this version.

Thanks

Darryl

Files:

darryltyson:

Thanks

Darryl

Great, thanks for the info.

So can I use this on higher TFs, like 1hr and 4hr?

darryltyson:

Thanks

Darryl

Downloaded this new version and still no trades or boxes.

darryltyson:

All,

This is the 4th EA I have tried to code and the only one that makes an upward trend, it was developed on the 5min EURUSD time frame, as the EURUSD seemed to have the most characteristics that I was after.

The backtest is included below, as you can see it is only for 1-Jan to 1-Sept (Which is when I started with this basic EA). I have not run it after this date as I wanted a couple of months to backtest on after posting, mainly to avoid any curve fitting that may occur, hopefully get a real picture. There has been no forward testing done as I have one laptop that is also used for work purposes (and a bit of EA Development :).

Made a quick YouTube to try and answer any questions about how it works. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3IWhfUFBS70 . The usual applies with the attached file put it in \Program Files\MetaTrader 4\experts\ then run your backtest on metatrader.

Would greatly appreciate your comments.

Kind Regards.

Strategy Tester Report
_darryltysonV4.1.4
AlpariUK-Demo (Build 211)

Where can I get a copy of this ea?

Hello I would like to try your ea but it's to late...The demo version has been expired. Is ther a most recent version ?

Thanks 

Reason: