Changing to a different profile removes the running expert (reloads it when the profile is selected again) / a possible bug?

I am attaching an EA onto one chart (or several charts) in one of my profiles, but when switching to a different profile, the running EA(s) are removed.

I unchecked the Tools->Options->Experts Advisors tab 'disable experts when the profile has been changed, but this didn't seem to have any effect; either way, all experts are removed and reloaded again once the same profile is selected again.

The documentation suggests that this option can prohibit reloading (=restarting) of the experts after a profile has been reactivated:

"Disable experts when the profile has been changed
A large amount of information about the current settings of all charts in the workspace is stored in profiles. Particularly, profiles contain information about experts attached. Experts included into the profile will start working when a new tick incomes. Having enabled this option, one can hinder the experts launching when the profile has been changed."

As I wrote, checking or unchecking this option didn't seem to have any effect.

I am using separate profiles to keep track of different instruments; Until now (as a newbie user), I was planning on having multiple EAs executing on charts that belong to different profiles at the same time.

Am I missing something obvious here? Is this a known issue? Is there any workaround, other then 'use only one profile for EAs'?

- Amnon

If you switch profile then current profile discarded and new profile appears. What is "profile discarded"? All charts are closed. If chart closed then attached EA removed. All right.

New profile appears. It means all the chart of this profile opened. Some charts can have attached experts. If "Disable experts when the profile changed" is on, then attached experts will be initialized but not launched with new incoming tick.

Thanks for the information; the explanation is clear.

However, this seems to impose a rather severe limitation on the ability to execute more than just a few EAs at the same time, because of the over clutter it will bring to one profile layout (having many charts simultaneously opened). Even more problematic is the fact that when letting the one 'EA executing profile' do its work, activities in other profiles cannot be performed since this will 'discard' (as you termed it) the executing profile.

Is there an option to use more than one instance of MetaTrader on a single Windows login session? this way, i could potentially circumvent that aforementioned limitation. Or maybe by using another account, e.g. a demo account, at least for for the non-trading 'other activities' meanwhile W/O having the same effect of stopping the executing EAs?

I still hope I'm missing a simple solution/truth here... :)

second copy of the MT can be installed in another directory.

irusoh1:

second copy of the MT can be installed in another directory.

Thanks for pointing out the (somewhat obvious) solution. It's not perfect, but it's good enough to go with.
Reason: